VOGONS

First post, by PixelOCDGuy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As per subject, I've tried about 5 different drivers.

I'm not looking for the "best" as in fastest driver, I'm just looking for one that will work !

I bought this card because getting a decent/fast period correct card is now very near impossible. Even if I was willing to buy the huge costs, they just don't come up for sale. The plan was to buy an overpowered card (taking into acct PCI latency, no AGP port) and hope for a half-decent experience.

It is a Jaton Video-348PCI-LX. I've tried the following NVIDIA reference drivers:

61.76 - Card too new for driver
66.94 - BSOD on boot
71.84 - crashes when running DXdiag and/or 3dMark tests. Basically any attempt at 3D. 2D is fine.
77.72 -- ditto
81.98 - ditto

I doubt this is the PC, as I know newer NVIDIA drivers are flakey on Win9x. This was a similar problem I had with a Geforce4 MX 4000, the difference being I could use an older stable driver (45.23). This card was bought to replace that, due speed issues. However, I'm starting to think, this was a bad idea, given the crashing and possible PCI bus limitations.

So my question is, does anyone have a driver version that works in Win9x? (I am using ME).

Reply 1 of 17, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The GeForce 6xxx series is a hit and miss on Win98/Me.
Right off the bat, even if you are extremely lucky, you can only hope to play ~ 50% of games. The other half will either fail to run altogether, or will exhibit serious graphical corruption.
However, there's also the fact that the success rate when using these cards is heavily dependent on the platform. The older the platform, the less chance to get it working without experiencing BSODs.

You did not mention what other components you have, but since we're talking about a PCI 6200, I'm going to guess it's a very old platform (Pentium MMX territory? ).
Either way, I'm sorry to tell you that chances of getting it going on these very old platforms are slim. And, again, even if you do, most period correct games will fail to run properly (and those that do will be slower, because of driver overhead).

Last edited by bloodem on 2022-08-24, 09:45. Edited 2 times in total.

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 2 of 17, by rasteri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've not tried that particular card but I've had success with a Geforce 7600 AGP.

These drivers worked for me - https://toogam.com/software/archive/drivers/v … fici/nv8269.php

And I had to install one of those sketchy Windows 98 update packs before it would work (that might have just been because it contained DirectX, though) - https://retrosystemsrevival.blogspot.com/2018 … e-december.html

Also make sure your motherboard chipset drivers are installed if required.

(Here's the build if you're interested - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzAiznHGz-E )

Reply 3 of 17, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rasteri wrote on 2022-08-24, 09:43:

I've not tried that particular card but I've had success with a Geforce 7600 AGP.

Fitting an AGP card on a PCI only system (which is probably what the OP has), will be a bit difficult. 😀
Also, it won't make a difference. Those cards tend to only work ("work" is a very big word, though) on newer platforms.

What the OP needs is probably a Voodoo 3 PCI... but good luck finding those for a decent price.

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155

Reply 4 of 17, by rasteri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bloodem wrote on 2022-08-24, 09:47:

Also, it won't make a difference. Those cards tend to only work ("work" is a very big word, though) on newer platforms.

All I know is, I had identical problems to OP using an NVIDIA card on Win98, and installing the update pack and the unofficial drivers made it work on all the games I tried.

Reply 5 of 17, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rasteri wrote on 2022-08-24, 10:09:

All I know is, I had identical problems to OP using an NVIDIA card on Win98, and installing the update pack and the unofficial drivers made it work on all the games I tried.

Not sure why the update pack made a difference in your case, but it can definitely work without it.
I never use update packs and have had a decent amount of success with GeForce 6800 GT and 6600 GT cards (on later platforms - like nForce 3 / i865). Never tried these cards on anything older, since it wouldn't make any sense (there are much better options for older platforms).

Reply 6 of 17, by hyoenmadan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rasteri wrote on 2022-08-24, 09:43:

And I had to install one of those sketchy Windows 98 update packs before it would work (that might have just been because it contained DirectX, though)

Nop, is because them have update QFEs for PCI.vxd, NTkern.vxd and the GART core bus drivers.
These are required for certain functions drivers on the last Win98/WinME days require.

----
Besides the QFEs to Win98 core files, last Nvidia drivers need at least SSE/SSE2 presents to work without overhead (them still can fallback to MMX, but in the last 8x.xx drivers it performs TERRIBLE)... And the card itself would need certain chipset facilities like with USB2 cards, depending if the manufacturer tuned the Nvidia chip configuration for compatibility (BIOS, enabling/disabling stuff with physical resistors), or just took the reference design for WinXP+ machines, and manufactured a bogus version of it.

Reply 7 of 17, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember that my wife had a similar problem with a FX5200 card... it worked great in desktop, crashed in 3D. The problem was that the AGP bus could not give the card enough power (although the card could be plugged) and she had to replace the mainboard.

Has your card any power connector that you forgot to plug? Or maybe your bus has some voltage signals missing or underpowered?

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 8 of 17, by PixelOCDGuy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks everyone for your replies.

This one is a PCI variant, not AGP

You might wonder why, well, the hardware is:

SFF PC
IBM Aptiva 2196
Sis 540, IGP uses built in AGP, no external AGP port
K6-2 550
512MB PC133 RAM (FSB is 100)

I was all excited to try the unofficial driver suggested above, unfortunately, it became apparent that this card was unstable even during BIOS boot up. Sometimes it gave a white, or purple screen when I turned on the PC. I believe this is a different issue to the driver issue though. Either way, I won't give up quite yet. I have a P4 motherboard which I can borrow tomorrow to test, to see if it's a intermittent card fault or it just doesn't like the motherboard. This will narrow down the boot up problem.

If successful the above is successful, I'll try a WinME install on this motherboard and see how I go for comparison.

Otherwise, the card may be faulty.

I really want to get it to work on the original IBM motherboard so the BIOS boot screen matches the actual hardware. I'll update how I go.

Reply 9 of 17, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A crappy old board and a modern pci video card, what could go wrong?
Most likely it will work fine on the p4.

LZDoom, ZDoom32, ZDoom LE
RUDE (Doom)
Romero's Heresy II (Heretic)

Reply 10 of 17, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have not had much luck with 6200 and 586.

I think the drivers don’t work on 586. I believe they need 686 (maybe even full pentium 686, not just cyrix mII)

If you only have pci, try out one of these:

Radeon 7500 green short pcb

Attachments

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 11 of 17, by PixelOCDGuy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks again everyone. It turns out this unit is faulty. Most of the time I can't get it to boot at all (instead of BIOS screen I get a randomly selected color for the screen and the PC fails to boot).

Thankfully the seller is sending another one. This will take awhile as they are in the US and I'm in Australia. I will re-visit the driver then!

If I still can't get it to function, I'll test a Win2k OS image to verify it's the WIn9x Drivers.

Reply 12 of 17, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I only have one Jaton card, and it came to me with a manufacturing error - a piece of paper got left between the thermal paste and the heat sink, causing the GPU to overheat and malfunction. Removing the paper and applying new paste caused problems to go away.

Last edited by Errius on 2022-08-30, 22:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 13 of 17, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have 2 6200 cards and both glitch out in win 9x

And I haven’t been able to get the drivers to do 3d on 586

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 14 of 17, by brian105

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Later cards like the 6200 are probably more suited to P4 builds, since the drivers weren't tested as much on K6/PMMX systems.

Presario 5284: K6-2+ 550 ACZ @ 600 2v, 256MB PC133, GeForce4 MX 440SE 64MB, MVP3, Maxtor SATA/150 PCI card, 16GB Sandisk U100 SATA SSD
2007 Desktop: Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2v-MX SE, Foxconn 7950GT 512mb, 4GB DDR2 800, Audigy 2 ZS, WinME/XP

Reply 15 of 17, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
brian105 wrote on 2022-08-30, 22:47:

Later cards like the 6200 are probably more suited to P4 builds, since the drivers weren't tested as much on K6/PMMX systems.

Heck, just going to pentium 2 or cyrix mII would inprove your chances but pentium 3 seems to be really the minimum requirement for drivers much after nvidia5000/ati9000

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 16 of 17, by Lylat1an

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My Retro Rig has a PCI-based GeForce 6200 and a 500Mhz AMD K6-2, but I haven't tried them with any 3D games.

What free titles would be good to test it without asking too much of the system?

Reply 17 of 17, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Heck I had problems with windows screen savers 🤣

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-