VOGONS

First post, by Confused UngaBunga

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I have a thing for low cost chipsets like VIA's mpv4 with its Trident Blade 3D graphics or the SiS 530 with its 6236 graphics and Crystal sound.

What other chipsets and combinations of onboard audio and graphics are there, and what is your opinion on them?

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 29, by brian105

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Cyrix MediaGX based chipsets had emulated SB16 audio and a slow iGPU. I suppose it's fine if you want to target late 486 builds, but it won't get much faster than that.

Presario 5284: K6-2+ 550 ACZ @ 600 2v, 256MB PC133, GeForce4 MX 440SE 64MB, MVP3, Maxtor SATA/150 PCI card, 16GB Sandisk U100 SATA SSD
2007 Desktop: Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2v-MX SE, Foxconn 7950GT 512mb, 4GB DDR2 800, Audigy 2 ZS, WinME/XP

Reply 2 of 29, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

are we strictly speaking about chipsets or just onboard graphics/sound in general? ^^

then one of my favorites probably has to be this A-Trend ATC6254M with a Voodoo 3 and Yamaha YMF740C onboard ^^

hardware40_54.jpg
Filename
hardware40_54.jpg
File size
377.41 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 3 of 29, by Confused UngaBunga

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Very interesting the Xpress audio and video of the Cyrix chip. Will definitely have to take a further look. But I'm also interested in onboard graphics and sound, and that voodoo/yamaha combo is pretty sweet. Interesting combinations like that are very welcome.

Years ago I've messed around with a presario with a camaro motherboard and it had an ESS soundchip (the Allegro though, not the Audiodrive) besides the Blade 3D (played tons of re-volt, and also wolfenstein3D on that system with the stock 533Mhz K6-2).
That ATC6254M would be awesome for dos, except maybe for the slot1. I still hold on the the camaro motherboard because it has a socket 7, but currently I'm starting to test a system I've built (not finished yet) withSiS530 (the sound is CX4235 🤣) to see if it is any good with some pentium-s for dos.

Reply 4 of 29, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
imi wrote on 2022-08-26, 00:58:

are we strictly speaking about chipsets or just onboard graphics/sound in general? ^^

then one of my favorites probably has to be this A-Trend ATC6254M with a Voodoo 3 and Yamaha YMF740C onboard ^^
hardware40_54.jpg

Too bad it can't do AGP texture acceleration. I suppose PCI Voodoo speeds is enough for most of what you would use this board for.

Reply 5 of 29, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Confused UngaBunga wrote on 2022-08-25, 22:59:
Hello, […]
Show full quote

Hello,

I have a thing for low cost chipsets like VIA's mpv4 with its Trident Blade 3D graphics or the SiS 530 with its 6236 graphics and Crystal sound.

What other chipsets and combinations of onboard audio and graphics are there, and what is your opinion on them?

Thanks.

Do you mean onboard (=discrete chip that could have been on a separate card) or integrated (=functionality in chipset, no separate chip)?

The examples you give are of VGA integrated into the chipset, not onboard chips. SiS530 does not contain integrated audio, so if there's onboard audio on the motherboard it can be anything the motherboard vendor chose. I've seen them with CMI CM8330 and ESS Solo audio, but paring with a Crystal chipset would work just as well.

In terms of onboard stuff, I'm a big fan of the MSI MS-6168rev2, with onboard Voodoo3-2000 (and a crappy Creative ES1371 PCI audio). It has a BX chipset and if you're lucky (I was with my third board) it will run a P3-1400S at full 133MHz speed. Not bad for a micro-ATX board two years older than the CPU.

In terms of integrated graphics, the ALi Aladdin 7 with integrated ArtX VGA is - in theory as I have never been able to find one - my favorite for the PC; it's an So7 chipset with dual-channel SDR-SDRAM and ArtX' core went on to become the basis of ATi's Radeon.

Reply 6 of 29, by Confused UngaBunga

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did not know about this Aladdin 7, happy you told me about it.
Regarding you question, both examples I give are a mix of onboard video plus integrated audio, so as long as there is no add-on cards that's what I'm looking for. I don't now why, I'm just fascinated by this cost reducing/performance ratios and how they'll behave under dos or win98 (allthough I used Xp for many years it is not gaming-nostalgic for me).
I had one of those creative branded audiopci from ensoniq and it was perfectly fine for win98 gaming (for my 16yo me) but for dos games I had terrible experience.
The MSI MS-6168rev2 seems to be on the same line as the ATC6254M, and I see how these motherboards can be so desirable. I would problable go with the one that has yamaha instead of ensoniq sound.

Reply 7 of 29, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ooh, definitely the OG Xbox's NV2A chipset. The integrated GeForce 3 was even faster than the PC add-in card, and the memory controller fed both the PIII CPU and GPU with silly fast (for 2001) dual-channel DDR-400. The southbridge also contained the full-fat SoundStorm audio processor.

This is the chipset that Athlon XP nForce users wished they had.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 8 of 29, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How retro is retro enough?
I own this Asrock K7VM2 socket 462 mainboard.
It has integrated ProSavage8 3D graphics in the VIA KM266 chipset. https://www.asrock.com/mb/VIA/K7VM2/index.asp
And it comes with a VIA VT1612A audio codec on board. https://www.datasheet4u.com/datasheet-pdf/VIA … f.php?id=770548

2022-08-27 10.32.18.jpg
Filename
2022-08-27 10.32.18.jpg
File size
1.74 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 9 of 29, by Confused UngaBunga

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It does have windows 98 drivers and sdram support, so with a mobile athlon and the ability to choose cpu multiplier you can have a wide range of processing power and compatibility at the same time.
I keep a windows 98 machine with a gigabyte motherboar with intel extreme 2 and some onboard audio I don't recall right now. I use it with a 533FSB 2.6 Northwood easily downclocked to 400FSB on the Bios to get 2000MHZ, coupled with the slowest 256MB DDR I could get.
But this machine is not taking advantage of the onboard graphics and sound that it has, because I installed a Geforce2 GTS, a Voodoo 2 and a Live!.

Reply 10 of 29, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are tons of such motherboards… but my favourite for today is Fujitsu-Siemens D990!
Socket7, Intel 430TX, Matrox Mystique video, Crystal sound, hardware wavetable and upgrades.

Attachments

Need help? Begin with photo and model of your hardware 😉

Reply 11 of 29, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Babasha wrote on 2022-08-27, 16:20:

There are tons of such motherboards… but my favourite for today is Fujitsu-Siemens D990!
Socket7, Intel 430TX, Matrox Mystique video, Crystal sound, hardware wavetable and upgrades.

yeah, that's another one of my favorites that I wanted to post, mine even came with the VRAM upgrade module but is unfortunately lacking the wavetable chip and USB ^^, also I think the cache modules might be proprietary?

hardware38_22.jpg
Filename
hardware38_22.jpg
File size
614.35 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 12 of 29, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My favorite board is the Intel SR440BX. It does not have it's graphics integrated into the chipset, but it has an onboard TNT chip. Audio is provided by some Creative chip, and is fairly ok 😀
Overall, performance is quite good. It's limited to Pentium 2 CPU's (including Katmai) and coppermine has deliberately been blocked out by Intel thru bios support. I guess Intel wanted is to buy i820 board after that.
Also it has not a single bios setting to overclock of course.

Also we should not forget about the Intel 815 chipset with its integrated graphics, no matter how awful you may find this slug.

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 13 of 29, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
imi wrote on 2022-08-27, 16:40:

yeah, that's another one of my favorites that I wanted to post, mine even came with the VRAM upgrade module but is unfortunately lacking the wavetable chip and USB ^^, also I think the cache modules might be proprietary?
hardware38_22.jpg

I’m upgrade my with VRAM module, wavetable chip.

Attachments

Need help? Begin with photo and model of your hardware 😉

Reply 14 of 29, by Confused UngaBunga

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

🤤

Reply 15 of 29, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The ACER V66LT Boards are used in several different machines (with siemens too).
There were variants with Socket7 and AtiRage IIc and Slot1 with AtiRagePRO.
I never saw a version with onboard Matrox-Card, so I don't think such a thing exists.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 16 of 29, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The MSI MS-6168 is famous for having an on-board Voodoo 3 2000 and ES1373 audio chip.

msi-ms-6168-1-632c7c4ab6b32605553364.jpg
https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/msi-ms-6168-ver-2

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 17 of 29, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Most (if not all) motherboards with the i810 chipset have onboard audio and video, but they're low-end solutions and the Intel IGP obviously isn't ideal for 3D games.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 19 of 29, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gmlb256 wrote on 2023-11-17, 15:30:

Most (if not all) motherboards with the i810 chipset have onboard audio and video, but they're low-end solutions and the Intel IGP obviously isn't ideal for 3D games.

my vote goes for the underdogs matrox and intel !

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines