VOGONS

First post, by k9cj5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is my first slot 1 system and it even has an isa slot! I found the motherboard information from here https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/dell-d … t___-t___r#cpus and it looks like I can get up a 1ghz p3 which I excitedly checked for on ebay only to find out they cost hundreds. It looks like I'm limited to a p3 with a 100mhz fsb. I saw they have kits to attach a regular socket 370 CPU and thought maybe that might be a better option but I have no idea. I'll be pairing this with a voodoo 3 most likely or I may just use the video card it came with which is a Nvidia diamond 16 meg card. I don't want to hold back any performance from the video card. Currently it has a 450 mhz p3 with 100mhz fsb.

Also if you look at the motherboard diagram it looks like it has a proprietary power connector. Am I limited on my power supply upgrades for this system? I can't seem to find a attachment that might convert a modern power supply to use with it. I usually never use the original power supply since I don't want to blow anything up but I may have no choice here. I'll just make sure it's clean and the fan is in good shape. Thank you so much for your time.

Reply 1 of 8, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The PSU adaptors used to be available on eBay.

DSC_0002.JPG
Filename
DSC_0002.JPG
File size
490.56 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

The max memory for these systems is 768 MB (3x256 MB)

The maximum CPU is a 1.4 GHz Celeron Tualatin, however you will need a socket adaptor. I used the PowerLeap PL-iP3/T, but beware that in addition to being stupid expensive, these now need to have their capacitors replaced.

Maximum video card will probably be limited by your PSU. I had a GeForce 6200 in mine. I could probably have gone higher, but never tried anything more capable.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 2 of 8, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If that video card is an original with the tower, you might have a TNT2 Ultra Viper V770! Even if it's the regular V770, it's still a nice card. Find out before you make any changes. Unless your plan is to max out this tower, period be damned, and the card is a V770, I would keep that card and look for a Voodoo2 (or two Voodoo2's if you want to spend the money) to pair with the Diamond.

With that said, I have one of these towers except it is the T550 (if you upgrade your CPU to 550, it will also become a 550 in the BIOS automatically) with a Voodoo3, which was a factory option for this tower. You would be keeping in the spirit of the tower if you were able to nab a Voodoo3. As for performance, if you upgrade to a PIII 600MHz Slot-1, you'll max out the Voodoo3 at resolutions of 1024x768 and play lower resolutions more than comfortably. PIII 600MHz Slot-1 CPUs - Katmai or Coppermine should cost about the same at 600MHz. Alternatively, you are not limited to 1000MHz Slot-1 CPUs. If you plug in a 133MHz FSB Pentium III, it will run at its 7.5 multiplier but with a 100MHz FSB @750MHz. You can still grab the Slot-1 versions for under $60. Unless you have most of the parts, a Slotket, 1GHz Socket 370 PIII, and fan will cost about the same (I'm using eBay pricing, by the way, and not considering patience for a deal to pop up). I know these 133MHz Pentium III's work on other 100MHz FSB 440BXs I own, but I haven't tested in the Dell. I could test this out if you like.

Reply 3 of 8, by k9cj5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Errius wrote on 2022-08-28, 22:50:
The PSU adaptors used to be available on eBay. […]
Show full quote

The PSU adaptors used to be available on eBay.

DSC_0002.JPG

The max memory for these systems is 768 MB (3x256 MB)

The maximum CPU is a 1.4 GHz Celeron Tualatin, however you will need a socket adaptor. I used the PowerLeap PL-iP3/T, but beware that in addition to being stupid expensive, these now need to have their capacitors replaced.

Maximum video card will probably be limited by your PSU. I had a GeForce 6200 in mine. I could probably have gone higher, but never tried anything more capable.

Awesome I think I finally found one thanks to that image you shared
https://www.atxpowersupplies.com/Dell-P10-con … tor-adapter.php

And you weren't kidding about that PowerLeap PL-iP3 not being cheap. Do you have a 1.4 Celeron in yours?

Reply 4 of 8, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I used to have two of these machines, a T450 and a T500. Alas, I tossed them out in the late 2000s so they're long gone.

Both were upgraded with PowerLeap adaptors in the early 2000s, one with a 1.2 GHz Celeron, and the other with 1.4 GHz. It was a very common upgrade at the time. It gave a shot in the arm to these old machines and allowed them to remain viable well into the XP era.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 5 of 8, by k9cj5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Meatball wrote on 2022-08-29, 02:15:

If that video card is an original with the tower, you might have a TNT2 Ultra Viper V770! Even if it's the regular V770, it's still a nice card. Find out before you make any changes. Unless your plan is to max out this tower, period be damned, and the card is a V770, I would keep that card and look for a Voodoo2 (or two Voodoo2's if you want to spend the money) to pair with the Diamond.

With that said, I have one of these towers except it is the T550 (if you upgrade your CPU to 550, it will also become a 550 in the BIOS automatically) with a Voodoo3, which was a factory option for this tower. You would be keeping in the spirit of the tower if you were able to nab a Voodoo3. As for performance, if you upgrade to a PIII 600MHz Slot-1, you'll max out the Voodoo3 at resolutions of 1024x768 and play lower resolutions more than comfortably. PIII 600MHz Slot-1 CPUs - Katmai or Coppermine should cost about the same at 600MHz. Alternatively, you are not limited to 1000MHz Slot-1 CPUs. If you plug in a 133MHz FSB Pentium III, it will run at its 7.5 multiplier but with a 100MHz FSB @750MHz. You can still grab the Slot-1 versions for under $60. Unless you have most of the parts, a Slotket, 1GHz Socket 370 PIII, and fan will cost about the same (I'm using eBay pricing, by the way, and not considering patience for a deal to pop up). I know these 133MHz Pentium III's work on other 100MHz FSB 440BXs I own, but I haven't tested in the Dell. I could test this out if you like.

I need to check it again but I'm pretty sure it's not a V770. Since I closed it back up I can't seem to get it open. Out side is ok shape but inside is pretty dirty. I know for sure it had 16 megs, it was a diamond card and I thought it said tnt on it. Either way super cool to have. I thought about getting a voodoo 2 but I don't know much about them. I recently saw a voodoo 2 8 meg go for 99 but the 12 meg card go for close to 200. Kinda neat if you can run both those cards in the same machine. If you did how do you chose which card will render the game? So you could run 2 voodoo 2s in sli and run a tnt in the agp slot? That sounds like it would be an awesome setup.

So the 133mhz fsb CPUs will work on this board? So if I got a 850 mhz p3 with 133fsb what would the clock be? If you have some that you could test that would be awesome. As much as I would like to buy a bunch of slot 1 CPUs to test I can't. I did pick up a 266 pentium 2 "Klamath" core for maybe making this into a awesome dos machine. I've heard those have a unlocked multiplier and you can jump between 133 to 300 by adjusting the fsb multiplier. Not sure if this Dell motherboard will support this but it was 10 dollars so I couldn't pass it up. Thanks again for everyone responses.

Reply 6 of 8, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
k9cj5 wrote on 2022-08-31, 06:54:

I need to check it again but I'm pretty sure it's not a V770. Since I closed it back up I can't seem to get it open. Out side is ok shape but inside is pretty dirty. I know for sure it had 16 megs, it was a diamond card and I thought it said tnt on it. Either way super cool to have. I thought about getting a voodoo 2 but I don't know much about them. I recently saw a voodoo 2 8 meg go for 99 but the 12 meg card go for close to 200. Kinda neat if you can run both those cards in the same machine. If you did how do you chose which card will render the game? So you could run 2 voodoo 2s in sli and run a tnt in the agp slot? That sounds like it would be an awesome setup.

So the 133mhz fsb CPUs will work on this board? So if I got a 850 mhz p3 with 133fsb what would the clock be? If you have some that you could test that would be awesome. As much as I would like to buy a bunch of slot 1 CPUs to test I can't. I did pick up a 266 pentium 2 "Klamath" core for maybe making this into a awesome dos machine. I've heard those have a unlocked multiplier and you can jump between 133 to 300 by adjusting the fsb multiplier. Not sure if this Dell motherboard will support this but it was 10 dollars so I couldn't pass it up. Thanks again for everyone responses.

You might have the M64 version then, which is like a regular TNT2, but only 64-bit memory interface (compared to TNT2/TNT2 Pro/TNT2 Ultra at 128-bit) - still OK for games which aren't demanding or at lower resolutions and it's good for DOS.

There are no 850/133MHz Pentium IIIs from the factory. It would be 866/133MHz. 850MHz is only for Slot-1 with 100MHz bus. Anyway, the multiplier on the 866MHz Pentium III is 6.5. So, on a 100MHz FSB limited motherboard, it would run at 650MHz (6.5 x 100).

Yes, you can run 2 Voodoo2 cards in SLI with the M64 (or any card, for that matter).

When you have a Voodoo2 installed, there is a tick box for DirectX. It's enabled by default. If you untick the box, then the Voodoo2 will no longer perform DirectX functions. Your main card, the TNT2 M64 in this case, would perform as primary for DirectX3D. The Voodoo2 will ALWAYS perform Glide operations.

For the 266MHz Pentium II, it is compatible with the Dell Board, but there are no jumpers or BIOS options to control the multiplier or Front-side bus (OEMs didn't want you playing back then). This 440BX board is a vanilla Intel SE440BX-2. On the Intel (non-Dell version) SE440BX-2, there is a single jumper to set for configuring a Pentium II in the bottom corner of the board, but I don't know about this Dell - I have to check. If you have an unlocked Pentium II, you MIGHT be able to set it to a lower speed. I don't know for sure as I never tried it in this Dell. Otherwise, whatever the CPU is specified for operation at the factory, this is how it will perform in this machine. The exception could be the 133MHz FSB Pentiums. Because this board is limited to 100MHz, they will be downclocked (IF they work, I haven't tested in this Dell yet, but like I said, P3's normally work downclocked in other motherboards just fine).

Reply 7 of 8, by k9cj5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Meatball wrote on 2022-08-31, 14:25:
You might have the M64 version then, which is like a regular TNT2, but only 64-bit memory interface (compared to TNT2/TNT2 Pro/T […]
Show full quote

You might have the M64 version then, which is like a regular TNT2, but only 64-bit memory interface (compared to TNT2/TNT2 Pro/TNT2 Ultra at 128-bit) - still OK for games which aren't demanding or at lower resolutions and it's good for DOS.

There are no 850/133MHz Pentium IIIs from the factory. It would be 866/133MHz. 850MHz is only for Slot-1 with 100MHz bus. Anyway, the multiplier on the 866MHz Pentium III is 6.5. So, on a 100MHz FSB limited motherboard, it would run at 650MHz (6.5 x 100).

Yes, you can run 2 Voodoo2 cards in SLI with the M64 (or any card, for that matter).

When you have a Voodoo2 installed, there is a tick box for DirectX. It's enabled by default. If you untick the box, then the Voodoo2 will no longer perform DirectX functions. Your main card, the TNT2 M64 in this case, would perform as primary for DirectX3D. The Voodoo2 will ALWAYS perform Glide operations.

For the 266MHz Pentium II, it is compatible with the Dell Board, but there are no jumpers or BIOS options to control the multiplier or Front-side bus (OEMs didn't want you playing back then). This 440BX board is a vanilla Intel SE440BX-2. On the Intel (non-Dell version) SE440BX-2, there is a single jumper to set for configuring a Pentium II in the bottom corner of the board, but I don't know about this Dell - I have to check. If you have an unlocked Pentium II, you MIGHT be able to set it to a lower speed. I don't know for sure as I never tried it in this Dell. Otherwise, whatever the CPU is specified for operation at the factory, this is how it will perform in this machine. The exception could be the 133MHz FSB Pentiums. Because this board is limited to 100MHz, they will be downclocked (IF they work, I haven't tested in this Dell yet, but like I said, P3's normally work downclocked in other motherboards just fine).

I started restoring it today. The model of the video card is a viper v550. Even has integrated Yamaha sound. Chip says ymf724f. Not sure if it's any good. Also your right about being able to set the multiplier in oem Dell bios. That's a shame. I was afraid of this but oh well.

Also I found another source for that power cable. I'm a little hesitant to use the original power supply and I want to replace it but maybe it's ok? I'm not sure yet. I think it's the right one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234303646117?mkcid=1 … emis&media=COPY

Reply 8 of 8, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
k9cj5 wrote on 2022-09-02, 03:06:
I started restoring it today. The model of the video card is a viper v550. Even has integrated Yamaha sound. Chip says ymf724f. […]
Show full quote
Meatball wrote on 2022-08-31, 14:25:
You might have the M64 version then, which is like a regular TNT2, but only 64-bit memory interface (compared to TNT2/TNT2 Pro/T […]
Show full quote

I started restoring it today. The model of the video card is a viper v550. Even has integrated Yamaha sound. Chip says ymf724f. Not sure if it's any good. Also your right about being able to set the multiplier in oem Dell bios. That's a shame. I was afraid of this but oh well.

Also I found another source for that power cable. I'm a little hesitant to use the original power supply and I want to replace it but maybe it's ok? I'm not sure yet. I think it's the right one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234303646117?mkcid=1 … emis&media=COPY

If you can do so safely (obligatory statement), open it up and check status of the capacitors; and you'll be able to clean it out while you're there. There are many threads around here for additional measures you can take for testing.

YMF724 is a good chip with OPL3. You should have good DOS results with this one even being PCI-based - some of this depends how far back in time are the games you want to play. However, you have a lot of options available since you have an ISA slot and a PC/PCI link built-in to the board. I think the sound card "rabbit hole" is one of the most expansive, deep, and time-consuming areas of computing which exists, should you wish to jump in. Enjoy the ride, and we look forward to your thread asking which card to use because you like them all!