VOGONS

First post, by tomcattech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So,

I've had a hell of a good 98SE rig for about 6 months now and things have been awesome until I started "expanding" my game library into some of the older DOS era titles.

I'm coming to the conclusion that DOS mode in 98SE in some circumstances is.... "Meh"

I'm looking at the old computer parts bin here and I'm thinking I could probably build a hell of a DOS rig.

Single core processors- check
period correct video cards - check
Voodoo 2 for Glide- check

My main concern is that while I'd like to build a screamer.... I don't want to get into situations where I have TOO much power and memory for things to be unstable or play too fast.

I'm sure 10 of you are going to say: "That's what DOS Box is for!".... and you would be right.

But hell, why not?

Any ideas here?

On a side note, I blame Phil from Phil's Computer Lab for the ever expanding parts bin and late nights..... My wife knows who's to blame. 🤣

Reply 1 of 6, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

IMHO, there is no single DOS rig to do it all. It depends on what era of gaming you're interested in.

If you're interested in early to mid 90's then a Pentium rig would do the trick, especially if you're planning on 3D games.

The quintessential DOS gaming rig is IMHO the 486 DX2/66. That would get you up the early 90's (i.e. original Doom). But would not have enough power if you're looking for more of the Duke 3D / Quake era of games.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 2 of 6, by tomcattech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shponglefan wrote on 2022-08-30, 22:23:

IMHO, there is no single DOS rig to do it all. It depends on what era of gaming you're interested in.

If you're interested in early to mid 90's then a Pentium rig would do the trick, especially if you're planning on 3D games.

The quintessential DOS gaming rig is IMHO the 486 DX2/66. That would get you up the early 90's (i.e. original Doom). But would not have enough power if you're looking for more of the Duke 3D / Quake era of games.

I've got some spare single core Pentium 4s and Athlon XPs hanging around.

Would that be too much horsepower for late 90s 3d games?

Reply 3 of 6, by Lylat1an

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

While I primarily play DOS games on my Retro Rig, it's capable of running Windows 98 too.

There are programs that will slow down the CPU speed for older games, and I use a IDE-to SD card adapter with an extension ribbon to easily swap between operating systems.

Reply 4 of 6, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tomcattech wrote on 2022-08-30, 22:43:

P4 and Athlon XPs are really more suited to Windows 98 / XP era gaming. If you're after late 90s 3D gaming, that would be the Windows 9x era, not DOS.

DOS era gaming basically runs from early 80s to mid 90s. After that, Windows took over.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 5 of 6, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No, but you won't be able to build a DOS rig with those CPUs.

Reply 6 of 6, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kolderman wrote on 2022-08-31, 00:25:

No, but you won't be able to build a DOS rig with those CPUs.

...you can indeed build a DOS rig with them, there are ISA boards for both Single core P4s and Athlon XPs, ISA aside since you dont need ISA to get DOS compatible sound, just a nice ESS Solo-1 or SBLive with DOS drivers. As for Video well the boards do have PCI so any nice Cirrus Logic PCI card would work along with any of the thousand S3 Virge based cards or perhaps the super compatible Trio 64+.

Getting a pure DOS machine would be as simple as using one of the DOS 7.1 install compilations out there, even 6.22 should work fine with correctly picked HDDs and 2gb partitions.

The only issue here is that the rig would be too fast for any early DOS games but later DOS games would run just fine, depending on what Athlon XP it is it may be able to be downclocked with BIOS tweaks and 3rd party programs to make it even more suitable.

If OP has a early 423 P4 like a early 1.3/1.4 Willamette then even better as they were slow as shit to begin with and nerfing them even further only makes them better as a DOS slave.