VOGONS

First post, by atom1kk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am planning to look for a voodoo 1 card. Are there any vwrsions which i should avoid tegarding quality or compatibilities?

Reply 1 of 8, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
atom1kk wrote on 2022-09-02, 14:39:

I am planning to look for a voodoo 1 card. Are there any vwrsions which i should avoid tegarding quality or compatibilities?

Some exotic Voodoo1 cards with more than 4 MB of VRAM can cause issues with older Glide games. It may be possible to fix some of those using environment variables, but if you want to be safe, stick to the standard 4 MB cards.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 4 of 8, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Personally I'd love a Voodoo 1 card with electromechanical passthrough relays instead of the bus switch IC found on at least the cards I've dealt with, if they exist. Haven't explored the market. My voodoo 1 cards severely degrades image quality in passthrough mode, I believe those ICs are to blame.

Reply 5 of 8, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Most Voodoo 1 cards followed original 3dfx design with only minor deviations.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 6 of 8, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kaputnik wrote on 2022-09-02, 16:20:

Personally I'd love a Voodoo 1 card with electromechanical passthrough relays instead of the bus switch IC found on at least the cards I've dealt with, if they exist. Haven't explored the market. My voodoo 1 cards severely degrades image quality in passthrough mode, I believe those ICs are to blame.

That means you want the Orchid Righteous 3D, as that was (one of the?) only card with those relays. Can't say I've noticed any difference with say a Diamond Monster3D in terms of image quality - but I like the *click* sounds.

Reply 8 of 8, by atom1kk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just bought a orchid v1 card. The price was bit higher than i wanted but since i remember orchid was one of the better brands i decided to give it a go. It costs me 75 incl. Shipping. Think its ok. Now i need a loop cable. All cables i find are between 20 and 30 euro. I have found on ebay this one. I think it should do the same. What do you think?

Attachments