VOGONS

First post, by kenan83

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello. I have a yedata yd 380B 5.25 1.2mb floppy drive. I couldn't read my floppy disks. I am formatting the omnidisk, but. When I want to switch to A, it says the floppy disk cannot be read. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Should I format the omnidisk as fm or mfm? I will be glad if you help. I am sharing the image after the format on the omnidisk. I don't know if it was formatted.By the way, I also cleaned the lens of the disk. As a jumper, jumper 0 on a single cable. c de a: it can't read the disk when I do enter.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 5, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Y-E Data YD-380 is a good old (original release is like 1983) drive. You do not mention what computer you are using it in, what disks you are using and why using Omnidisk to format the disks instead of just plain DOS.
Are you trying to make CP/M or other compatible formats ? The manual of the plain 380is at Bitsavers and other places too, might help.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 5, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Based on the screenshot, you are using a high density drive to write dual density floppies, this can be hit or miss, depending on several factors. Using never-written-to blank floppies or previously used ones erased using a bulk eraser might help.

This thread has some insight on the subject : 5.25" floppy drive reads but can't write?

Reply 3 of 5, by kenan83

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2022-09-04, 02:39:

The Y-E Data YD-380 is a good old (original release is like 1983) drive. You do not mention what computer you are using it in, what disks you are using and why using Omnidisk to format the disks instead of just plain DOS.
Are you trying to make CP/M or other compatible formats ? The manual of the plain 380is at Bitsavers and other places too, might help.

I have a 1991 rev a model. The computer I use is a 486 and win 3.1 is installed. I have 3 1.2Mb double-sided and 4 360kb single-sided discs. in dos
A: When I give the command, it cannot read the disks. The reason I want to use an omnidisk is to format the disks I have.

Reply 4 of 5, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Agree with darry. As for old PC floppy formats know there are some odd formats but I thought for PC's the 360k disk were all Double Density/Double Sided (called DS/DD or 2S/2D).
Only the PC 180k are single sided double density (called SS/DD or 1S/2D) and 40 tracks per side AFAIK. And all PC floppies are MFM.
Never heard of a 360K single side for PC usage (not that knew at the time but is why I asked if for CP/M or other)
Yeah there are some odd quad Density single sided that are 320k per side that use 80 tracks per side (like 1.2MB HD disks) but those were not used for PC's much IIRC.
I have a few very old early PC DD/SD floppies formatted to 160k single sided, they can only be read proper in a true old 360k floppy from my experience with them and would never try to reformat to that spec or a 360k using a HD floppy drive....
added: edit: check this wiki (which may not be 100% accurate but close enough) . https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_floppy_disk_formats
Look at the IBM PC formats about 2/3 done under "logical formats"....Only 360k single side are the 3.5" 720k floppies written to just one side.....
Are you sure they are 360K single sided ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 5 of 5, by kenan83

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone. First of all, thank you very much for all your help. Finally got my y-data 5.25 driver working. 😊 I can write, read and format all my 1.2 mb and 360kb floppy disks. The problem is neither in the floppy disks nor in the read head. I had read about the termination resistor in the Vogon and in different forms, but I was thinking that the problem was in the floppy disks or the read head. From the jumper settings I saw that the termination jumper was not in place and placed the jumper and happy ending. 😊floppy works fine now. Frankly, I was surprised that all the 30-year-old floppy disks I bought second-hand were working.

Attachments