VOGONS

First post, by mkaushik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a mixed mode CD image for an old game as a pair of .mdf/.mds files. I'd like to be able to play this game on my vintage Win98 machine with CD music, for which I need to burn this image onto a CD.
I'm able to mount the .mds file with Wine on Linux and play the game with background music, so I know the image itself is fine.

This is what Alcohol 120% says about the image:

Type: 	Media Descriptor Image file
Path: ....
Name: FF.mds
Size: 412.3 MB
Session: 1
Track: 9
File(s): FF.mdf

(Also check out the image in the attachment)

I tried burning this image to a CDROM with Alcohol 120% with the default write method (DAO/SAO). While I can play the game from the CDROM in Win98, there is no background music. Windows Media Player or VLC on my other Windows 11 machine does not see the tracks on the CD either, so something went wrong.

Any ideas on how to accomplish this?
Thanks in advance!

----
PS: Mounting this image in Win98 with Alcohol 120% won't allow background music to play on my machine since my sound card uses VXD drivers. According to this page: "To get CD Audio music with BIN/CUE image games, your sound card needs to use WDM drivers. VXD drivers will not work unfortunately."

Attachments

• session_tracks.png
    Filename
    session_tracks.png
    File size
    21.32 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 3, by Solo761

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have you tried burning with IMGBurn?

That's my go to application when it comes to creating or burning CD/DVD images.

As for mounting, have you tried using Daemon Tools? I remember using Alcohol 120% back in the day, but since Daemon Tools arrived I don't recall using it for image mounting.

Reply 2 of 3, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Agree IMGBurn may work. Usually I use Nero 6 on older Win98/XP/etc and it handles Mixed-Mode just fine.

Windows Media Player or VLC on my other Windows 11 machine does not see the tracks on the CD either, so something went wrong.

That is not a good sign, you should be able to play the audio tracks though not sure how Winfecking11 handles it. Do you have a XP or Win7 machine to try the CD on ?
Did you make the Image or stumble upon it ? ;p

Last edited by Horun on 2022-09-06, 13:21. Edited 1 time in total.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun