VOGONS

First post, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Would 4V motherboard voltage setting kill an amd dx4 3V cpu or is there some chance of it working with good cooling?

Reply 1 of 5, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Luck of the draw, usually 3.6 is the highest you want to go or the chip can get gimped where it only runs on 4v and eventually wears out.

I’ve seen a few run 5v their entire life’s so it’s worth the risk if you got the chip cheaply enough that you can replace if it gets flakey

Reply 2 of 5, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rmay635703 wrote on 2022-09-09, 13:26:

Luck of the draw, usually 3.6 is the highest you want to go or the chip can get gimped where it only runs on 4v and eventually wears out.

I’ve seen a few run 5v their entire life’s so it’s worth the risk if you got the chip cheaply enough that you can replace if it gets flakey

So does that mean that at least it wouldn't fry the cpu immediately when turning on the computer?

Reply 3 of 5, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In small increments, increased voltage will result in accelerated degradation of chip after some time (it's called electromigration), which may happen after years or decades of prolonged usage. More voltage you add - less time is needed for it to happen. But in some cases, 3v 486 chips can work for prolonged periods of time on 5v, if sufficient cooling is provided, without any signs of degradation, i.e. not being stable on specific frequency with specific voltage which was stable before.

From my point of view, 4v is still "safe" to use on all 3v 486. That's only 16% increase over stock voltage (3.45v). More voltage is getting into dicey territory.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 4 of 5, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

By mistake I was using a DX4 100 with 5v for a long time and recently I did undervolting tests with that same processor and it is totally stable at 2.7v so at least in my case I can say that these processors are quite resistant.

Reply 5 of 5, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My cpu is actually the 133Mhz version but it has been marked as 100Mhz part. It has 16kb of internal cache and it can be jumpered between 3x and 4x. Maybe quality control found issues when it was manufactured and it was labeled as 100Mhz and 8kb cache because of that. All tests show 16kb internal cache though.