VOGONS

First post, by gabimor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!

As you know, cable management is very hard in old cases, like Cooler Master Centurion, for example.

I'm trying to work, only, with the essential connectors in my PSU.

I'm trying to adjust the lenght of a SATA Cable, too.

While modding this SATA Cable, I forgot to identify the black wires.

I don't know which one is paired with the 12v wire, and which one is paired with the 5v wire.

Can I, randomly, solder black with black, or I have to identify the correct black cables?

This is a modern PSU, and it's not group regulated.

Can you help me.

Thank you!

Attachments

Reply 1 of 8, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can solder any black with any black, they're electrically connected in the PSU. There's no reason why you'd want different references for different voltages/rails or anything, rather the opposite actually. Using multiple wires for the same thing like that is just an alternative to using a coarser gauge 😀

Reply 2 of 8, by gabimor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kaputnik wrote on 2022-09-10, 20:55:

You can solder any black with any black, they're electrically connected in the PSU. There's no reason why you'd want different references for different voltages/rails or anything, rather the opposite actually. Using multiple wires for the same thing like that is just an alternative to using a coarser gauge 😀

Thank you for helping me, kaputnik.

Reply 4 of 8, by gabimor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jakethompson1 wrote on 2022-09-10, 23:17:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Union_s … nion_splice.jpg

Ideally before soldering them, don't just "glue" them together with solder

Thank you, jakethompson1 !!!

Reply 5 of 8, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

FYI 3.3V wires can be totally ignored. If you are running 2.5", just wire up black (gnd) and red (5V). If you need to run either 2.5" and 3.5" wire up red, and yellow and black wires to theirs wires that's 5V, 12V and ground.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 6 of 8, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some psus make all the wires black but if you have other colors. Then black is gnd and which one you use doesn’t matter

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 7 of 8, by gabimor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote on 2022-09-11, 00:13:

FYI 3.3V wires can be totally ignored. If you are running 2.5", just wire up black (gnd) and red (5V). If you need to run either 2.5" and 3.5" wire up red, and yellow and black wires to theirs wires that's 5V, 12V and ground.

Cheers,

Thank you, pentiumspeed. Have a nice sunday!!