VOGONS

First post, by VenomSpark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guyz 😀

im constantly working on one of my retro build, with highs and lows, despite i hope one day i could afford a better one as with this mobo i have some little issues, and most of them comes from the chip VIA Apollo 133A, which honestly and personally i really hate.. is a pain in the ass to try get AGP 4X and other troubles.

Anyway, my question is pretty simple, as before asking i tried to surf a lot the net and experiment myself, but with poor results so that's why i hope some of you could help me out.

I had a GeForce 5200FX, which worked surprising good under this system, with extreme good compatibility for MS DOS games, D3D and so on. But sadly, one day from nowhere she decide to die and now i can't use it anymore until i could afford a new one (not now, sadly) as it shows artifacts and graphics glitches already from boot screen. I have a lot of AGP cards, but most of them are ATI and despite been a huge ATI fan boy, it is not very good for me. They have very poor dos compatibility (Keen is one of my favourite and played games, and it have screen tearing, IKR there are patches but im too lazy and not always works) and so on, and also some D3D give me problems, while with Nvidia cards not.

So i try to get on the point of the question: I have as a temporary replacement a GeForce 2 MX-200 64MB AGP4X from 2001, don't know the manufacturer but I could tell you the initials written on the card. Anyway it would be a good card for me, it have nice MS DOS compatibility (VESA 2.0 if i remember), no Keen and other games glitches and so on, but i have HUGE problems with the drivers.

I tried A LOT of versions, but one give less errors but adds new one, and viceversa. In short, i cannot find a really good version that don't give ANY problems. I tried with range from 2002 drivers (23.xx) to 2004 (4x.xx) but no luck. Does anyone that have or had this card under Windows 98 SE, made it work without any problem and can raccomend me (if you link them would be more amazing) ?

With the FX5200 i used 43.49, or sort of it I don't remember the exactly number now but was 40.xx series from 2003, and they were PERFECT. But with same drivers and the GF2MX installed later, instead, didn't. Problems with almost 5-6 different versions of drivers i used, combined together are:

- Random freezing
- Graphical glitches on some games (IGI, GTA 1, Blood 2 ecc.)
- Freezing at startup right after Win98 opening music
- The area around the mouse have constantly graphic glitch, like lines and artefacts permanent when you move the mouse arrow
- Most, if not all, of them don't recognize AGP 4X but only 2X (this should be related to mobo ikr, but i remember one version made 4X work, but had problems)
- Sometimes i see screwed colored lines during Windows 98 boot loading screen, or during login for then disappear, or reappear randomly
- Black screen right after Windows 98 boot screen, totally freeze and no response

these are just few that i can remember now, so please there is a "magic" version that could really work as it should or like the FX5200 did?

The card works, i mean AFAIR it don't have any damage, it always worked 3-4 years ago on another pc, so it shouldn't be a problem related to the card.

I know messing with drivers is not a good idea, but i always did the right way during testing from one to other versions: used Driver Cleaner PRO, removed any .inf from windows, any registry key and so on. And trust me, is a pain in the ass and a lot of frustrating work.

Sorry for long post, but i would like to use my PC and my GF2MX without any above mentioned problems. I could tell you the exactly versions I tried with this card later (i have all of them on a folder, each one with the correct number of version) but any of them didn't gave me the hoped results. I think i even desperately tried the Detonator version, no luck. No one seems to like this card despite i remember with another old mobo (an ASUS A7V8X with AMD socket) never gave a problem and was working VERY good (it ran even Max Payne 2 and other 2003 games).

Oh, the specs if needed:

ASUS CUV4X-E with latest beta BIOS installed Socket 370, VIA Apollo 133A (bleah) and AGP 4X Pro (universal)
Intel Celeron 533Mhz Mendocino PPGA-370 (nothing is Overclocked)
128MB SDRAM PC133
S3 Savage4 GT 8MB AGP4X (works good and great in DOS, but very weak performance in almost any D3D games)
Sound Blaster LIVE! 5.1 PCI
Windows 98 SE Italian latest build, no service pack or other mods installed, just vanilla with DirectX 9.0c

Reply 1 of 20, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Even tho you are moving from one Nvidia GPU to another Im 100% sure the MX200 will work just fine with the 43.49 drivers and you should have been able to just throw the card in and update the drivers to get them to recognize the MX200.

Its odd that you are having issues like that but didn't have any with the 5200, are you 100% sure the MX200 was working well before you put it into the system ? is it possible the card is bad ? do you have another card you can throw in there to test ?

Some other things you could try

Clean the edge connector of both the GPU and the AGP slot with contact cleaner or ISO.
Check to see if the heat sink on the MX is affixed and not just sitting on the card.
Visually check the card to see if there are any broken solder joints, bent/damaged legs on the ICs or missing SMD caps/resistors.
While checking the card also look to see if there are any scratches on the PCB surface, I have had a few cards have this happen to them during shipping.

Dont try to force AGP 4x, the MX200 wont see any benefit from it and it could be causing compatibility issue with your board since it sounds like you have one of the PITA chipsets. The glitches you are seeing sound a lot like memory issues as bad Vram ICs exhibit similar symptoms.

Last edited by TrashPanda on 2022-09-11, 11:53. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 20, by atom1kk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi. Those drivers are too late i would go to versions under 10. I have the version 7.xx and it works very good. I have a geforce 2 ti

Tried many drivers. But with later versions i get more errors on late 90s games.

Last edited by atom1kk on 2022-09-11, 11:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 20, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
atom1kk wrote on 2022-09-11, 11:53:

Hi. Those drivers are too late i would go to versions under 10. I have the version 7.xx and it works very good. I have a geforce 2 ti

They are but even then they should work without issue, older drivers simply give more performance due to lower driver overhead and you also need to hunt for a specific older driver version which is a PITA.

But . .as a starting place and to help OP out because fuck wasting time hunting old nVidia drivers.

https://www.philscomputerlab.com/nvidia-9x-gr … cs-drivers.html

is a good starting point for older 9x drivers.

Reply 5 of 20, by VenomSpark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-09-11, 11:52:
Even tho you are moving from one Nvidia GPU to another Im 100% sure the MX200 will work just fine with the 43.49 drivers. […]
Show full quote

Even tho you are moving from one Nvidia GPU to another Im 100% sure the MX200 will work just fine with the 43.49 drivers.

Its odd that you are having issues like that but didn't have any with the 5200, are you 100% sure the MX200 was working well before you put it into the system ? is it possible the card is bad ?

Some other things you could try

Clean the edge connector of both the GPU and the AGP slot with contact cleaner or ISO.
Check to see if the heat sink on the MX is affixed and not just sitting on the card.
Visually check the card to see if there are any broken solder joints, bent/damaged legs on the ICs or missing SMD caps/resistors.
While checking the card also look to see if there are any scratches on the PCB surface, I have had a few cards have this happen to them during shipping.

Dont try to force AGP 4x, the MX200 wont see any benefit from it and it could be causing compatibility issue with your board since it sounds like you have one of the PITA chipsets. The glitches you are seeing sound a lot like memory issues as bad Vram ICs exhibit similar symptoms.

Thanks for the fast answer Panda 😀

I will double check later the card, its seems it don't have any visible damage as i always treat these hardware with maximum care, i even installed a custom fan on the heatsink that never gave problems. I will try later and test it again.

Yeah, indeed when i installed the MX2 after the swap with the FX5200, it recognized immediately but started to give the problems i mentioned above.

Another sub-question, if i can (thanks again!): there are really no difference between 2X and 4x? Im a little bit obsessed with these things, ikr from 4x to 8x there were a lot of performance boost, but 2x sounds so slow. Shouldn't it be have less bandwith? It would be even fine to deal with the 2x, is a pretty old card and i don't need huge performance games or anything, but just that don't give that problems which make the PC pretty useless and unsable... anyway, thank you for the answer i'll check for good the card and try to swap the S3 and tell you updates, but then again im pretty sure the card works... would be bad if it got damaged as im out of other good cards for now 🙁

i was also thinking to get something like a GeForce 4 ti4200 or ti4600, despite they are very rare and expensive on the net. The FX5200 was incredible good, even if is maybe "too new" put on a old PC meant to play old games. There are any card that you suggest me that have good MS DOS compatibility (Very important for me) and at same time good D3D performance for mid-2000 games like GTA 3, Soldier of Fortune, IGI ecc.?

Thanks 😀

Reply 6 of 20, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Its a MX200 it honestly has trouble using all the bandwidth of 2x let alone 4x, if it was a GF3 or 4 then sure 4x would be useful, I guess even a GF2ti or Ultra would see a benefit from it, its the same with PCIe cards where the bus wasn't being fully used till just recently and then only by the Halo cards like the 2080ti, 3080ti/3090ti its why moving from PCIe 3 to PCIe 4 wasn't a selling point for the majority of PCs if you understood how bandwidth worked. (NVME SSDs are excluded here because thats a different discussion 😜)

As a suggestion ..any card below the GeForce 6000 series uses the same Vesa 2d core but you could just grab yourself another FX5200 or FX5200 Ultra they are still super cheap, you could grab a GeForce 2 GTS which are also cheap cards, if you want a bit more power then the GF4 Ti200/400 cards are a nice choice and both are still reasonably cheap.

A GeForce4 Ti200 would be my personal choice as its not stupidly powerful yet not under powered for the system you want to use it with.

Reply 7 of 20, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VenomSpark wrote on 2022-09-11, 11:35:

- Black screen right after Windows 98 boot screen, totally freeze and no response.

I had the same problem on the board with via Apollo Pro and GF2MX400, all drivers causing a black screen after the start of the W98SE (sometimes with a mouse cursor, sometimes with a flashing red-blue rectangle in the upper left corner).
Finally, I tried not to install the VIA AGP driver from the 4in1 package and the problem was over, the 3D acceleration worked as well.
I don't know what the problem was, but this was the only thing that helped me at the time.

Reply 8 of 20, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

One of the best drivers (as in, both fast and stable) for GeForce 2 MX/GTS/PRO/TI/Ultra and GeForce 3 is Detonator 7.76
I've tested this driver hundreds of times over the years and it works great on all relevant platforms (SS7, Slot 1, Slot A, Socket 370, Socket A).

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 9 of 20, by VenomSpark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bloodem wrote on 2022-09-11, 13:08:

One of the best drivers (as in, both fast and stable) for GeForce 2 MX/GTS/PRO/TI/Ultra and GeForce 3 is Detonator 7.76
I've tested this driver hundreds of times over the years and it works great on all relevant platforms (SS7, Slot 1, Slot A, Socket 370, Socket A).

thanks for heads up mate! this evening i'll be back home and will try all suggestions, but i'll take a note on this version and download and test it later... fingers crossed 😀

Reply 10 of 20, by VenomSpark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ydee wrote on 2022-09-11, 13:02:
I had the same problem on the board with via Apollo Pro and GF2MX400, all drivers causing a black screen after the start of the […]
Show full quote
VenomSpark wrote on 2022-09-11, 11:35:

- Black screen right after Windows 98 boot screen, totally freeze and no response.

I had the same problem on the board with via Apollo Pro and GF2MX400, all drivers causing a black screen after the start of the W98SE (sometimes with a mouse cursor, sometimes with a flashing red-blue rectangle in the upper left corner).
Finally, I tried not to install the VIA AGP driver from the 4in1 package and the problem was over, the 3D acceleration worked as well.
I don't know what the problem was, but this was the only thing that helped me at the time.

Hey mate thanks for suggestion as, indeed, i DO have installed those drivers... i will also try to remove them, thanks for suggestions I really love this place 😀

Reply 11 of 20, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You experience problems with two different graphics cards. Seems like it's a problem with the motherboard itself. Have you tried the FX 5200 in another machine?
It's not a driver problem but the best drivers for both cards are 45.23.
I have the same motherboard and with a p3 1.0 GHz (133 MHz) bus it won't even boot, at 100 MHz bus it's unstable and hangs, it's only stable at 66 MHz bus.
Caps look good but it's an old mobo you know.
Besides the keyboard sometimes doesn't work, it's that known problem with a surface mounted capacitor near the port.
Edit: after reading the last reply instead of what Ydee says i'd try setting agp aperture to 4 MB in bios. The gart drivers must be installed.

LZDoom, ZDoom32, ZDoom LE
RUDE (Doom)
Romero's Heresy II (Heretic)

Reply 12 of 20, by VenomSpark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dondiego wrote on 2022-09-11, 14:09:
You experience problems with two different graphics cards. Seems like it's a problem with the motherboard itself. Have you tried […]
Show full quote

You experience problems with two different graphics cards. Seems like it's a problem with the motherboard itself. Have you tried the FX 5200 in another machine?
It's not a driver problem but the best drivers for both cards are 45.23.
I have the same motherboard and with a p3 1.0 GHz (133 MHz) bus it won't even boot, at 100 MHz bus it's unstable and hangs, it's only stable at 66 MHz bus.
Caps look good but it's an old mobo you know.
Besides the keyboard sometimes doesn't work, it's that known problem with a surface mounted capacitor near the port.
Edit: after reading the last reply instead of what Ydee says i'd try setting agp aperture to 4 MB in bios. The gart drivers must be installed.

Hey i think that 45.23 was the right driver i had with FX5200 which were just perfect. No problems with the intro in Lithtech games, no bugs or freeze but somehow they don't like my GF2MX. Yeah as having a Celeron (i have also P3's but i want stick with my Cely) i must set FSB to 66mhz. Ok i tried to put 4MB as aperture (isn't too low for 64mb card?) and what gart drivers you talk about? thanks 😁

And yeah i think it doesn't boot for the CPU too high maybe? the highest P3 i have is a 866Mhz and runs perfectly at 133mhz, in the end is a 2000's mobo. I have other two different motherboards, from different manufacturer and guess what? 😁 they ALL have Apollo 133A -_- is a curse man... idk why this chip is so bad..

Reply 13 of 20, by AlexZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

An FX 5200 / FX 5500 costs like $10, they are very affordable. I have a couple of those and they sit idle in my cabinet. Another option is GeForce MX 400/440, I have those as well. Always have a spare card. I have a spare FX 5600 and 7600GT as well.

If you're a fan of Mendocinos then buy a few 366s (they are very cheap) and overclock it to 550. I got like 10 Mendocinos, cost me about $3 each.

I'm surprised that ASUS CUV4X-E is that bad. Sounds like a dying board. I have ASUS CUBX and it's a great board. I'm not using it just because I built my PIII rig with ECS before I got ASUS CUBX.

Regarding AGP aperture size - the best option is to use the highest value that works, but does not exceed system memory size. It only determines how much system memory is theoretically available as AGP memory to the graphics card. 4MB is likely not enough. On my PIII I use 64MB as 128MB fails to boot into Windows 98. On my Athlon 64 I use 256MB aperture size as that is the highest value.

Pentium III 900E, ECS P6BXT-A+, 384MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 128MB, Voodoo 2 12MB, 80GB HDD, Yamaha SM718 ISA, 19" AOC 9GlrA
Athlon 64 3400+, MSI K8T Neo V, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT 512MB, 250GB HDD, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 14 of 20, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The idea was to disable agp and see if it works instead of unistalling the agp driver. But i don't think that will help, like i've said it's a 22 year old motherboard.

LZDoom, ZDoom32, ZDoom LE
RUDE (Doom)
Romero's Heresy II (Heretic)

Reply 15 of 20, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sounds like a failing MX200. Curious what version of DirectX are you running, iirc the MX200/400's only support thru DX7 where the FX5200 thru Dx9. It could be a DirectX issue but doubt it.....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 16 of 20, by smtkr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bloodem wrote on 2022-09-11, 13:08:

Vogons driver library is missing this version. Care to upload?

Reply 17 of 20, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
smtkr wrote on 2022-09-11, 18:24:

Vogons driver library is missing this version. Care to upload?

It's there, just with slightly different name so at a glance it might look like it's missing.

http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?file … 746&menustate=0

Reply 18 of 20, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Horun wrote on 2022-09-11, 17:52:

Sounds like a failing MX200. Curious what version of DirectX are you running, iirc the MX200/400's only support thru DX7 where the FX5200 thru Dx9. It could be a DirectX issue but doubt it.....

Supports DX9 and actually being able to use DX9 are two very different things for the FX5200, I would even go so far as to simply say it supports 7 and 8 and pretends to support 9.

Reply 19 of 20, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-09-12, 02:20:
Horun wrote on 2022-09-11, 17:52:

Supports DX9 and actually being able to use DX9 are two very different things for the FX5200, I would even go so far as to simply say it supports 7 and 8 and pretends to support 9.

True ! "Support" and "fully use" are two different things 😀

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun