VOGONS

First post, by kennyPENTIUMpowers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi,
picked up a shuttle HOT-553 motherboard https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/shuttle-hot-553 the other day and looks like the BIOS chip has been removed at some stage..
wondered why it wouldnt post so started looking over the board and according to the site above it should have an award bios..
if a find another bios from another board could i swap that in and then flash it to correct image?

Attachments

Reply 1 of 6, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kennyPENTIUMpowers wrote on 2022-09-11, 13:21:

if a find another bios from another board could i swap that in and then flash it to correct image?

There is a chance, if the bios you swap in has the same chipset(s).
Easiest would be to use an external programmer, and flash one of the roms you can download here https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/shuttl … t-553#downloads

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 2 of 6, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

BIOSes from other mainboards with Intel 430HX chipset will do - but only if they also have the - not so common - UMC Super-I/O. (like some Soyo HX mainboards for example)
If they don´t they will POST but you won´t have floppy support and need a separate floppy-controller card to hotflash the Shuttle BIOS.

You will also have to pick the right BIOS fille for your flash-ROM (MX or Intel 12V or Winbond, SST etc 5V). There´s a readme file included.

Reply 3 of 6, by kennyPENTIUMpowers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

well i paid $25 for it with a 166 cpu and 2 32mb ram sticks ... no great loss
i guess ill keep the cpu and ram and not worry about the board... live and learn

Reply 4 of 6, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kennyPENTIUMpowers wrote on 2022-09-11, 14:39:

i guess ill keep the cpu and ram and not worry about the board... live and learn

Yeah, it's not the end of the world. Also, you might be able to find someone nearby to flash a chip for you (I would gladly, but I'm on the other side of the planet), or buy one from seller who offers to flash it for you before shipping it .

Also, if the system was sold as "tested", I would kindly let the seller know that the testing procedure might be slightly lacking. 😉

Reply 5 of 6, by AlexZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

When I was on the lookout for a 440BX board I bought two from the same seller. One was ECS I'm using right now and another one I later noticed didn't have a BIOS. Both were sold cheap though. I didn't bother finding a BIOS as it looked like it had too few caps near slot 1 and didn't want to fry any CPU on it. I ended up removing slot 1 retaining clips and threw the board into garbage bin. Those having a desoldering station would probably also salvage cache chips, CPU socket and ISA slots on that HOT-553.

Pentium III 900E, ECS P6BXT-A+, 384MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 128MB, Voodoo 2 12MB, 80GB HDD, Yamaha SM718 ISA, 19" AOC 9GlrA
Athlon 64 3400+, MSI K8T Neo V, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT 512MB, 250GB HDD, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 6 of 6, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kennyPENTIUMpowers wrote on 2022-09-11, 14:39:

The Shuttle HOT-533 is absolutely worth being resuscitated! It´s a high quality HX mainboard with very good performance.

There´s no "plug and play / out of the box" when it comes to vintage computing, some obstacels have to be overcome, a (small) price has to be paid.
I´m sure someone here can send you a ready flashed BIOS chip - postage should not be prohibitive expensive.