VOGONS

First post, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've currently got an IBM Model M keyboard hooked up, but I'm thinking of migrating to another keyboard.

While I do like mechanical keyboards, I find the Model M noiser than I would like especially for keyboard-based gaming. I can't really remember what we used to use back in the day (maybe some Microsoft keyboard)?

I'm curious what folks prefer and use.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 2 of 13, by Lylat1an

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you like the Model M layout, IBM made Rubber Dome versions of it too.

I use a Soarer's Converter with mine to enable Windows shortcuts by holding ALT instead of the missing Windows keys.

Edit: They're called "Quiet Touch" model Ms.

Reply 3 of 13, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I like the older Keytronic Win type E03601Q models with the big enter key (e03601ql-c AT or e03601qus201-c PS/2). The E03600QL-C is also decent with smaller Enter key.
They are good AT/PS2 compatible and are decent full keyboards, usually get a good working one for +/- $25 if you look around...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 13, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Good rubber domes that feel almost like mechanicals (but not as loud) are IBM KB-7953 and KB-8923. They are also rather period-correct. Not sure what their key rollover is, but can't be worse than that of the Model M (which is only 2KRO).

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 5 of 13, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Model M has particularly bad 2KRO blocking, so if you try to hit many combinations of three keys at the same time, the last doesn't register. Love those boards, but they are not a good choice for gaming.

Ideally you want an NKRO board, but they are rare if you want period-correct. Options:

1) Capacitive switches
- IBM Model F boards. Expensive. Rare. Non-standard (i.e. pre Enhanced Keyboard) layouts. VERY noisy.
- Foam & foil boards. Most vintage BTC boards use this. Two problems: 1) at best rather squishy and unresponsive. 2) after 25 years, they are far from best and require new foam and foil pads, adding to cost and effort.
2) Regular switches with diodes
- Cherry or Alps based boards with additional diodes to prevent ghosting. Great solution, lots of choice in switches (and so noise/tactile feedback), only problem is definitively figuring out if a given board has the diodes or not. Even within a specific model range (eg. Cherry G80-1000) their presence/absence is almost random.

Reply 7 of 13, by RiverBoa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I use a Model M for one computer, but for most other needs I've a pair of Microsoft web keyboards. I have a Model M2, but the caps are drying up and it'll need to be disassembled and repaired, which means risking destruction.

Reply 8 of 13, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

IBM KB-9910 apparently? , it's a membrane so it's not much to write home about but it works I guess.

20220916_125756.jpg
Filename
20220916_125756.jpg
File size
1.18 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 9 of 13, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Romain wrote on 2022-09-15, 19:40:

For me the Chicony KB-5916 AT definitely (I use it every day since 1995 😀) - not mechanical but as is reliable., or any KeyTronic ergoForce model.

Yes Chicony made some very good keyboards. Personally not a fan of most older IBM. They just do not feel right but that is a personal thing ;p

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 11 of 13, by mrzmaster

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My retro daily driver is a NMB (HI-TEK) RT8255c with “space invader” mechanical switches. It’s an AT model (that I use with a ps2 adapter) from the early 90’s and also happens to be NKRO. I dare say that it feels so good to type on that it’s a legitimate contender against my modern Razer Huntsman.

Reply 12 of 13, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. I ended up ordering a Dell AT101W off Ebay, so we'll see how that one works out.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 13 of 13, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Shponglefan wrote on 2022-09-18, 00:10:

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. I ended up ordering a Dell AT101W off Ebay, so we'll see how that one works out.

Good choice ! There is a person in my area with AT101W for sale but wants to much to ship and has not replied on a local pickup or have would grabbed it.
Have a few vintage Leading Tech/Vtech with the black switches, they work very well.