VOGONS

First post, by Zeppo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an msi 5124 mobo with ami bios (the fancy colourful one)

https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/msi-ms-5124-si7

For some reason I can’t get the onboard ps/2 port working. Mouse won’t work in bios and ctmouse forced to ps/2 finds nothing. I read from somewhere it might be an issue with non standard pinouts with the port. I was also thinking about an irq conflict possibility. Any experiences with this mobo anyone?

Reply 1 of 3, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Early boards I never expect mouse to work in BIOS but yes if you are using a 10 pin header to ps2 adapter then it may be wired wrong.
PS2 like Keyboards is actually simple. There may be many header pins but only 4 are needed. the +5v and Ground should be easy to find.
The two remaining required are Data and Clock.
Many times those dual line header pins have one full row of ground all on same side. Then the remaining pins are a mix of +5v, Gnd, Data, Clock.
Using a good Digi voltmeter should be easy to find the grounds and the +5v. What is left should be Data and Clock (and maybe a NC).
Trial and error should get you what you need after that....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 3, by Zeppo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Still no luck with that. I was actually trying to use the soldered in port, but there is also one bracket next to that for extra one. However I got around the issue by using a COM port mouse. Any suggestions for the PS/2 will help, but at least I got the build in gaming ready state.

Reply 3 of 3, by bogdang

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, off-topic but pretty desperate ...
I bricked my BIOS, could you please make me a dump of yours? I managed to find AG77.ROM as the default one, but my motherboard had AG76 and I cannot find this version anywhere.