VOGONS

First post, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So long story short I came across an almost new looking Soyo Dragon SY-P4I865PE Plus board and had the bright idea to build a 2003 PC around it. The problem is I get a blue screen every time I attempt to install Windows XP or even Windows 2k. The error always varies and when it happens varies though installation though it never gets very far past the early stages of installation or formatting the hard drive to NTFS format. I've tried disabling all but the most basic functions in the BIOS, cut back my hardware to the very minimum, tried different RAM, different installation CDs, different video cards (AGP and PCI) and several different hard drives but I've had the same issue. I'm starting to think it's the board itself but it looks immaculate. The only thing I can guess at this point is I am running the early BIOS version and try updating it. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find a link to a BIOS update that actually works. i THINK the latest BIOS is version 2aa5 or 2aa4 but every link I try just tries to pull from the defunct Soyo site and fails.

Reply 1 of 6, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Will go look around but sounds like an ACPI BIOS issue. Can you can boot DOS off floppy ok ?
Which cpu are you running ? Hoping PC Hoarder Patrol with his keen search skills might find something if he see's this post.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 6, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote on 2022-09-13, 02:21:

Will go look around but sounds like an ACPI BIOS issue. Can you can boot DOS off floppy ok ?
Which cpu are you running ? Hoping PC Hoarder Patrol with his keen search skills might find something if he see's this post.

Yes, I am able to boot into DOS 6.22 via floppy disk. I'm running a 3.2GHz Northwood HT CPU though I've turned off hyperthreading in the BIOS to see if it makes a difference and it didn't. I read some posts that claimed the BIOS update fixed a booting issue when running a Prescott CPU but I didn't see anything about Northwoods. Current BIOS seems to identify the Northwood and Hyperthreading just fine on the POST screen.

Reply 3 of 6, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,
If I were you I would try to test using "memtest 86" utility first. Also I would check the temperature of ICH5 chip (south bridge). It' shouldn't be scorching hot.

P.S. BIOS is attached. But before flashing it's very important to make sure the system is stable and the bios-upgrade file is compatible with your model.
There're different versions of the mainboard and different BIOSes.
http://web.archive.org/web/20060314181345/htt … pgrade&col2=298
http://web.archive.org/web/20060314175249/htt … pgrade&col2=238

Attachments

• Filename
    865l2ca2.exe
    File size
    310 KiB
    Downloads
    31 downloads
    File comment
    Award BIOS update 2ca2 for SY-P4I865PE Plus Dragon 2
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    4ipe2aa4.exe
    File size
    414.76 KiB
    Downloads
    31 downloads
    File comment
    AMI BIOS update 2aa4 for SY-P4I865PE Plus Dragon 2 v1.0
    File license
  • Filename
    4ipe2aa5.exe
    File size
    415.33 KiB
    Downloads
    31 downloads
    File comment
    AMI BIOS update 2aa5 for SY-P4I865PE Plus Dragon 2 v1.0
    File license

[ MS6168/PII-350/YMF754/98SE ]
[ 775i65G/E5500/9800Pro/Vortex2/ME ]

Reply 4 of 6, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Roman555 wrote on 2022-09-13, 14:10:
Hi, If I were you I would try to test using "memtest 86" utility first. Also I would check the temperature of ICH5 chip (south b […]
Show full quote

Hi,
If I were you I would try to test using "memtest 86" utility first. Also I would check the temperature of ICH5 chip (south bridge). It' shouldn't be scorching hot.

P.S. BIOS is attached. But before flashing it's very important to make sure the system is stable and the bios-upgrade file is compatible with your model.
There're different versions of the mainboard and different BIOSes.
http://web.archive.org/web/20060314181345/htt … pgrade&col2=298
http://web.archive.org/web/20060314175249/htt … pgrade&col2=238

Thank you! I didn't even think of wayback machine. I'll check the southbridge as well as run memtest prior as suggested, thanks!

Reply 5 of 6, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
soviet conscript wrote on 2022-09-13, 16:43:

Thank you! I didn't even think of wayback machine. I'll check the southbridge as well as run memtest prior as suggested, thanks!

Welcome!
It's pity but wayback machine didn't save the SOYO BIOSes. I had to download them from other sites.

[ MS6168/PII-350/YMF754/98SE ]
[ 775i65G/E5500/9800Pro/Vortex2/ME ]

Reply 6 of 6, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That seems to of been the issue, after a clean bill of memory health from MEMtest I updated the BIOS, and after WinXP installed without any issues. I believe the BIOS on the board was the original BIOS from launch but updating to the 2005 2CA2 BIOS seems to have fixed things. thanks again!