VOGONS

First post, by Bernkastel7734

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello,
I've been using PC/XT with two 5,25" 360K FDDs. I have encountered weird failure of one of drives. It is able to list contenst of a floppy ( dir /w) but it's unable to read any file from the floppy. LED goes on, but it doesnt move heads assembly and after a short period of time I'm getting ' Data error while reading drive B:'. What it more it was working fine for about a week. Have tested that floppy in second drive and it's working fine.
I'm using stock IBM FDD controller.
Any idea what can be the case?
Have cleaned heads and slot connector.

Reply 2 of 7, by Romain

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I had the same.
I agree, especially if you've have few files on your floppy (it's can be why just "dir /w" work) : stepper seems stuck on the first sectors (just unblock gently with your finger or plastic tool & add gently a fine oil + move it).

Or on most rare cases, the stepper power or reader card is on failure (because capacitors often).

Or just clean the head white Isopropylic alcool.

Reply 4 of 7, by Romain

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Bernkastel7734 wrote on 2022-09-13, 15:55:
Romain wrote on 2022-09-13, 15:07:

I agree, especially if you've have few files on your floppy (it's can be why just "dir /w" work)

It has about 30 files

Does the player make a particular noise or, apart from the rotation of the disk, does the stepper remain silent?

Reply 6 of 7, by Bernkastel7734

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have lubed that drive and notices that it had broken solder around power connector. That one is from 1983 and my second one is from 1986.
The older one was set as B: and younger as A:.
I have swapped them and they seem to work fine

Reply 7 of 7, by Romain

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Bernkastel7734 wrote on 2022-09-14, 12:58:

I have lubed that drive and notices that it had broken solder around power connector. That one is from 1983 and my second one is from 1986.
The older one was set as B: and younger as A:.
I have swapped them and they seem to work fine

Hey, good news ! 😀
So now you seems know where is the issue.
You can post photos to see that more clearley of course 😉