VOGONS

CMOS battery

Topic actions

Reply 22 of 49, by Kouwes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

JP3 is set at 1-2 closed, which means >25MHz. I didnt alter any jumper setting and the system ran wel when it was stored many years ago.
Now I need to find another i/o card then.

Reply 23 of 49, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Order a xt-ide rom/ide or cf combo card. They are pretty handy. Order one with a rear i/o bracket if you are worried about accidentally putting it in backwards.

88CveHmKb0oFe48OzgPbZsux-pOxJoa_SPBLCkR0JQw.jpg?auto=webp&s=7ce8c00dcc94a845e2f68d75adb425f6f0a3d609here is one with ide and cf

But you would prob still use your external 16 bit.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 24 of 49, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kouwes wrote on 2022-09-24, 13:29:

JP3 is set at 1-2 closed, which means >25MHz. I didnt alter any jumper setting and the system ran wel when it was stored many years ago.
Now I need to find another i/o card then.

Does the CMOS setup have any settings about ISA bus divider though.At 50 MHz it should be 1/6. This would of course have been lost when the battery died.

Reply 25 of 49, by 80386SX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kouwes wrote on 2022-09-23, 05:20:

This just keeps scrolling

Where this photo come from exactly ?
This reminds me of a very old case, where one of the two BIOS chips had a slight problem... and it bugged the machine the same display way.
I had to replace the chip #2 with a new eeprom to solve this problem.

Reply 26 of 49, by Kouwes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That photo was what happened after getting the controller failure and hitting F1. System tried to boot from the a: drive.
I never knew about that clock setting in the bios. There is something called Bus Clock Frequency Select, that was set to 1/4 ACLK. Changing it to 1/6 still gave me the controller failure message though.

Reply 27 of 49, by Kouwes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-09-24, 20:37:

Order a xt-ide rom/ide or cf combo card.

Never heard of that. If I understand it correctly, it’s used for large drives on old computers?

Reply 28 of 49, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kouwes wrote on 2022-09-25, 06:44:

That photo was what happened after getting the controller failure and hitting F1. System tried to boot from the a: drive.
I never knew about that clock setting in the bios. There is something called Bus Clock Frequency Select, that was set to 1/4 ACLK. Changing it to 1/6 still gave me the controller failure message though.

Can you boot from a floppy drive?

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 29 of 49, by 80386SX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kouwes wrote on 2022-09-25, 06:44:

Hello, oh yes.. I had also the same kind of issue in the past with an MORSE mother board.
Everything worked perfectly except for the floppy disk drive.
I could only do small commands like "dir" and that's all.
Everything else, including launch prog, booting from the diskette, was causing a freeze with glitches on the screen, with ASCII characters here and there sometimes with colors...
I had tried almost everything I think (jumpers, crytsal, versions, bios, different controller, etc), but I had never managed to solve this problem.
An I saw someone once who had the same problem with this motherboard and his solution was "It's ok I put another controller card and there it's inexplicable but it works.". But this little trickster, did not leave the name of the model...
In short, courage and if you find thank you to tell us how you did 😀

Reply 30 of 49, by Kouwes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can’t boot from floppy, it says Drive not ready error.
As soon as I power on the system, the lights on both the a: and b: drive come on - and stay on.
Well I just bought another i/o card, shipping will take a couple of days though.

Reply 34 of 49, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kouwes wrote on 2022-09-25, 06:53:

Never heard of that. If I understand it correctly, it’s used for large drives on old computers?

It is a bios that kinda takes over the ide on systems that have glitchy old ide bioses.
They often come with their own cf slots and ide ports.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 35 of 49, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kouwes wrote on 2022-09-25, 14:50:

Ha! I actually plugged in the a: drive the wrong way. Not that it makes any difference, the system still says Drive not ready.

Are there any settings in the BIOS about cache wait states? Or can you temporarily disable your 256K external cache?

Reply 36 of 49, by Kouwes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-09-25, 21:59:
Kouwes wrote on 2022-09-25, 06:53:

It is a bios that kinda takes over the ide on systems that have glitchy old ide bioses.
They often come with their own cf slots and ide ports.

Seems like it’s plug and play? Just insert the card, plug in your hdd and cd-rom and you’re good to go?
I found the one with the bracket on ebay. I’m going to buy that one, for easy CF card access.

There are some bios settings for wait states but I don’t know about the cache - I’m not at home right now.

Reply 37 of 49, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, it’s pretty easy. There are settings but I haven’t messed with them much.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 38 of 49, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You should focus on getting the floppy to boot without any hard drive or CDROM installed at first. Verify all floppy cables are connected the right direction AND that the A: drive is on the twisted part of the cable.

Make sure the bus divider is set to 1/6 as previously mentioned, if the video is still freaking out after this - you may have a bad video card.

This motherboard is worth the effort to get working, that chipset is an absolute monster and 50MHz will make it fly.

Reply 39 of 49, by Kouwes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Update:
Took awhile but I finally got another controller card. But still the same error: HDD controller failure. Well, I‘ve had enough, going to dump this pc in the basement or probably sell the parts.