VOGONS

First post, by kubast2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried modifying

HKEYLocalMachine/<brain fog>/CurrentControlSet/Services/Display/<not vissible>/<brain fog>

from "8,640,480" to "8,800,600" as well as "16,1024,768".

The problem I've is as follows:
The Riva128zx driver I got doesn't support custom timings(not that I know of). It has a flag for 2 timings modes DMT && GTF. But it seems to also partially support EDID(or the EDID on this z22i is malformed).
I see the windows loading screen just fine.
640x480 256 colors worked fine, I could even change the "hz" to 60 from whichever it was setting by default, but I set 16bit colors and forgot about this issue(where the monitor throws "out of range H = 37khz V=74hz"(it also sometimes detects V=69hz).
I can connect a different monitor, get it's timings, set the resolution to 640x480/1600x1200x16bit on the other monitor that will set this monitors timings(my setup is pita in terms of dealing with cables, I don't have much space to get there).
And until the timings don't update(via powerstrip or otherwise OCDB/EDID lookup) to the new monitors timings, then I can use 640x480 to play at 320x240(640x480 pixel doubled) fullscreen.
This monitor(HP z22i) can support 640x480, but if it has EDID information from itself, then it can't.

My problem is, how do I:
a) modify the desktop resolution of the system in safe mode(well from what I see from safe mode I can only access safe mode registry[changes obviously don't carry over], I can only import .reg files and I searched for .reg files in the WINDOWS directory, even if I knew that the registry database isn't in .reg format, there obviously where none to be found).
b) what keyboard combination will let me to change the resolution one notch to 800x600(1920x1200 works as well I guess).
c) do I just place a regedit file? win+r the file?

Last edited by kubast2 on 2022-09-17, 21:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 2, by kubast2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay so I set:
"16,1600,1200" together with RefreshRate "60" and that seems to have worked(because just to torture me, even if I set 60hz in advanced adapter settings, it will default to automatic "-1").

how do I close the thread?

Reply 2 of 2, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No need to close it. You could edit the topic title and put <SOLVED> at the end.
Someone else may find the info useful.....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun