VOGONS

First post, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi everyone,

I recently picked up an old Windows 95 laptop (Hitachi M120D) that doesn't have USB or ethernet. I would appreciate some feedback on my options for backing up this machine and transferring files. It has a floppy drive, pcmcia, serial, and parallel ports. My first priority is getting the HDD backed up, as I don't trust a hard drive from the mid 90s. Secondly, this is my only computer with a floppy drive, so I would also like to have a way to transfer files easily.

My first choice was to grab a pcmcia network card, but the prices on ebay would cost me around $50 including shipping to Canada. I only paid $50 for the laptop, so that option is a bit pricey for me. For the backup part, I looked into using an IDE to USB adapter and copying the files using a newer computer, however, I've read that a lot of people have had trouble getting them to work with older HDDs.

I wasn't able to find any other solutions on the forum that didn't rely on USB or ethernet, but I apologize if I missed something in my search. I have considered a couple of options, but I'd appreciate some feedback on them.

1. Serial cable (null modem) between two computers:

These can be found for under $10 on Amazon and I have other computers with a serial port. I've never tried transfering files this way before, so I don't know if this is hard to get working. Also, does anyone know if I could copy an image to another computer over serial? I downloaded a manual for an older version of Norton Ghost, but it only mentions using the parallel port, USB, or network. Alternatively, does anyone know if it's possible to easily backup just the drivers for a fresh Windows 95 install?

2. Copy files to an older computer with an IDE slot and adapter

My local buy and sell has a couple of old Pentium 4 era computers listed for $5. I assume that the motherboards from this era would likely have IDE slots and there are cheap adapters on Aliexpress that convert the 44 pin laptop style to 40 pin desktop style (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002058544229.html). While my apartment doesn't need another full sized PC, this would be a pretty cheap way of copying the HDD and I could get rid of it afterwards. I wouldn't want to transfer the HDD each time I want to copy files, but this would allow me to backup the drive while waiting for a cheaper network card to show up on ebay.

Of course, I'm open to other suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Reply 2 of 29, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Pull the drive and use a modern computer

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 3 of 29, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi. I may have jumped the gun a bit by assuming that an IDE adapter in a modern computer wouldn't work. I got that impression after reading posts like this one:

Testing and imaging old IDE/PATA drives

One person mentioned having problems using these adapters with older drives:

IDE USB bridges/converters usually only work with drives that support LBA . Small capacity CHS drives will not work with such adapters, at least with the adapters I have tried .

By small drives, I mean smaller than 8.4GB . Bigger than that will be LBA . Smaller ones may still support LBA in addition to CHS, but sub 1 GB ones are almost certainly CHS only, AFAIK (I could be wrong on that last point, I have not dealt with NON LBA drives in a very long time) .

The drive in my laptop is only 250MB, so I'm assuming it's one of the pre-LBA ones mentioned by that user. I could be mistaken, as I'm not too familiar with this stuff. I just try to do some research before asking questions, but I might have gotten the wrong impression.

Reply 4 of 29, by davidrg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If it was me, I'd go the network route assuming you can get a PCMCIA card with DOS ODI or NDIS drivers. Boot the the machine from a floppy disk and image the hard disk to a network drive. Once you're done backing up the machine, the network card is still handy for getting stuff on and off the machine under windows.

Putting the hard disk in another machine would be easier for a one-off backup though if you don't already have the ability to network vintage things.

Reply 5 of 29, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh, yeah. I can confirm that there are issues with really small drives and those adapters

Modern computer plus ide add in card?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 6 of 29, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
davidrg wrote on 2022-09-21, 02:54:

If it was me, I'd go the network route assuming you can get a PCMCIA card with DOS ODI or NDIS drivers. Boot the the machine from a floppy disk and image the hard disk to a network drive. Once you're done backing up the machine, the network card is still handy for getting stuff on and off the machine under windows.

Putting the hard disk in another machine would be easier for a one-off backup though if you don't already have the ability to network vintage things.

I might just need to wait until one comes up on ebay for a reasonable price. I can't justify doubling the price of the laptop right now.

Reply 7 of 29, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-09-21, 03:06:

Oh, yeah. I can confirm that there are issues with really small drives and those adapters

Modern computer plus ide add in card?

Oh, I didn't realize that you could add IDE to a modern computer. I'll have to look into that.

Reply 8 of 29, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Get one of these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ORiNOCO-GOLD-PC-Card … 1-127632-2357-0

Free shipping to the states, hopefully to Canada also.

Set up a guest network on your router with no password or WEP. Enable file sharing in Win95. Share your C drive. Profit.

However you’d have to copy the drivers over. I suggest you buy a USB floppy drive and some blank disks for this purpose. You will absolutely need them in the future for many other things anyway. Not worthwhile not to have them.

As for drivers, open device manager and write down what your hardware configuration looks like. Then find the drivers on the internet. They’re all out there somewhere.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 9 of 29, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keenmaster486 wrote on 2022-09-21, 05:07:

Get one of these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ORiNOCO-GOLD-PC-Card … 1-127632-2357-0

Free shipping to the states, hopefully to Canada also.

Unfortunately, it's $20 to ship here. Not a huge deal, but I'd prefer to wait until a Canadian seller has something similar. I have a few other projects to keep me busy, so I don't mind waiting a little while for something cheaper.

Reply 10 of 29, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

LPT cable. You will find one for free if you ask few older people 😀 You will have to mod it for laplink operation (soldering required)
https://cliffordfeta.tripod.com/parallel_dire … _connection.htm
https://www.cambus.net/file-transfers-via-the … -using-laplink/

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 11 of 29, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

PCMCIA to Compact Flash adapter is an option as well.

Keep in mind that anything you buy for this could come in handy for future projects as well, so you don't have to think of it as sinking $ into one cheap laptop. That's how I convince myself to keep buying shit anyway.

Reply 12 of 29, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would consider replacing the internal drive with an adapted Industrial Compact Flash or SD card . Such cards can easily be read from and written to using a USB card reader on a modern PC .

What brand and model is the laptop ? Some models may present challenges with the above.

Reply 13 of 29, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

> (Hitachi M120D)

Pentium 120MHz 16MB something. There is one on ebay and judging by the pictures passive matrix screen.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 14 of 29, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rasz_pl wrote on 2022-09-21, 14:02:

> (Hitachi M120D)

Pentium 120MHz 16MB something. There is one on ebay and judging by the pictures passive matrix screen.

Thanks. I somehow missed that.

Reply 15 of 29, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Pierre32 wrote on 2022-09-21, 12:30:

Keep in mind that anything you buy for this could come in handy for future projects as well, so you don't have to think of it as sinking $ into one cheap laptop. That's how I convince myself to keep buying shit anyway.

I tell myself the same thing! Right now, I just don't see myself using a pcmcia network card in other machines. I'll check for a pcmcia to cf adapter. If I could get one cheaper than the network cards, that would work for me.

Reply 16 of 29, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rasz_pl wrote on 2022-09-21, 14:02:

> (Hitachi M120D)

I plan on taking some pictures and posting a description of the machine in the future. I couldn't find anything on this laptop on the web when researching it. I only found a couple of short articles announcing the Hitachi M series notebooks. It seemed like Hitachi was looking to get into the North American market, and the M series was their premium line.

Reply 17 of 29, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2022-09-21, 17:11:
Pierre32 wrote on 2022-09-21, 12:30:

I tell myself the same thing! Right now, I just don't see myself using a pcmcia network card in other machines. I'll check for a pcmcia to cf adapter. If I could get one cheaper than the network cards, that would work for me.

Make sure your laptop supports Cardbus if getting a Cardbus card. AFAICR, Cardbus slots can be backward compatible with PCMCIA, but PCMCIA slots are not compatible with Cardbus cards .

Personally, I would avoid going with a WIFI network card of that vintage, unless you fancy the challenge.

Also, if you don't mind sharing that info, where in Canada are you ? I'm in the greater Montreal area and might be able send you (for free) a spare PCMCIA to CF adapter (if I can find it) and shipping is low enough.

Reply 18 of 29, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also, if you don't mind sharing that info, where in Canada are you ? I'm in the greater Montreal area and might be able send you (for free) a spare PCMCIA to CF adapter (if I can find it) and shipping is low enough.

Thanks for the offer. I'm in Alberta. I wouldn't expect to be given anything for free.

Reply 19 of 29, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

just some thoughts... backing up a drive is a whole different thing than just copying files off it. first one can be complex, the second is fairly easy.
I suggest your original option 2 as you said and image the drive using an adapter to an other older computers HD.
That way you could re-image it on a replacement HD. For copying just some files all the other suggestions are good ones.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun