VOGONS

First post, by idan182

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,
I'm using a CF card with 3 partitions (Dos, W95 and W98) plus a mechanical IDE drive 13GB which is formatted to FAT32 so only the 98 see's it)
Hard disk shows up on bios.

After changing the master/slave configuration, I am no longer be able to see the 13GB HD on W98.
I think the drive letters changed and that's what caused it.
Windows recognize it as "Generic IDE Disk Type 80" but without a letter.
Fdisk see the drive.

Where did it go? I have data on that drive.
I'm trying to assign a letter in that box but it won't write.

20220924_153318.jpg
Filename
20220924_153318.jpg
File size
413.24 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
20220924_153305.jpg
Filename
20220924_153305.jpg
File size
452.53 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 1 of 7, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Um, no idea what's really wrong, sorry. 🙁
Are the settings in BIOS Setup set correctly for LBA or autodetect etc?
The text looks gibberish, maybe the Windows installation is broken?

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 7, by idan182

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2022-09-24, 14:39:

Um, no idea what's really wrong, sorry. 🙁
Are the settings in BIOS Setup set correctly for LBA or autodetect etc?
The text looks gibberish, maybe the Windows installation is broken?

No it's an hebrew version of windows, it worked until I had this mess with the drive letters got changed.
HD is auto detect,

Reply 3 of 7, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You say "After changing the master/slave configuration, I am no longer be able to see the 13GB HD on W98."
Did you change the 13GB HD from Slave to CF to Master on secondary or the other way around ?
Just a guess as I have seen similar but different with windows before: If the second HD was fdisked and formatted with the first disk installed it psuedo locks the partition drive letter assignment (and possibly in your case to the fourth drive letter with CF card with 3 partitions). What was the original drive letter before changing jumpers ?
My work around has always been to fdisk and format a HD with no other HD's attached, that way the drives first partition wants to be first available drive letter whether on primary or secondary controller (with another HD on first) .
added: There are some third party utils that can change the partition info after Fdisked (like Gparted, etc)....will see what other info I can find....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 7, by idan182

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It was always Master.
I changed it from Primary to secondary master.
I'm using Win32DiskImager for backup/restore my CF card for previous backups, it's like a ghost program which I import the last ISO to the CF card and it makes the partitions again.
I'm not sure the program is the problem since I used it and it was always found the HD.

I don't remember the letters, I think drive was F, and now one of the 3 CF partitions got F.
I haven't used FDISK before it happened.

The CF card hold the dos and the windows partitions.
The HD holds only the games.

Reply 5 of 7, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What motherboard or controller are you using ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun