VOGONS

First post, by k9cj5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently got a Msi K7t Pro and the USB header has 10 pins. As far as I knew they were keyed with 9, and originally had 8 but added the 9th so they could key the connection. Anyone run into this? Thank you for your time

Reply 1 of 3, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The nine pin layout is nice because standards are nice, but early USB implementation (especially with AT motherboards) was all over the place. I've a PCChips M520 that has a ten pin USB header and in that case the pins are the same as the nine pin. But there are also some motherboards out there like this illustration. If there is any doubt, you are best off to verify the +5 volt pins with a volt meter. The first time I connected a USB dongle to an AT motherboard back in 2001, I was saved by my power supply as it sensed the ground fault and wouldn't power up because I had a ground pin connected to a +5 volt pin.

Attachments

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 2 of 3, by Cosmic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I didn't easily find the manual for the K7T Pro, but I did find one for the Pro 2. It shows the USB header wired up as below. Perhaps your header is wired the same. It has two ground pins per port instead of the usual one ground pin, so that's why there are 10 pins instead of 8.

You may need to rearrange the pins on your breakout cable to match the motherboard.

Attachments

Reply 3 of 3, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cosmic wrote on 2022-09-24, 16:44:

I didn't easily find the manual for the K7T Pro, but I did find one for the Pro 2. It shows the USB header wired up as below. Perhaps your header is wired the same. It has two ground pins per port instead of the usual one ground pin, so that's why there are 10 pins instead of 8.

You may need to rearrange the pins on your breakout cable to match the motherboard.

Or get one of these type:

Attachments

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey