VOGONS

First post, by VenomSpark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi guys 😀

Sorry if i sound dope or stupid, but i consider this site the best for old hardware crazy oldmans like us 😜 I just have three questions, and I hope someone can help me somehow, im really getting rusty these times (duh).

1) Just try to help with good answers please ♥ and not like "why you would use that \ you can buy another one" ecc. about this one: I have a Radeon 9200SE, AGP version (in waiting can get other in future). By far is working good, despite ATI under Dos and retro games were not the best. My question is, running some games i get the error "No supported SuperVGA chip detected!" (sort of). I am not good with VESA story, i know this card have VESA 2.0, and some games runs okay at higher resolution (800x600 on DN3D, for example.) but there are some games that gives me this error. I tried UNIVESA but it just don't recognize any SVGA chip. There is a way to make it recognizible? a sort of emulation\driver or third party program? I know this card is too "modern" (lol) for DOS ages, indeed I had a S3 Savage 4 and a Rage IIc and they were working perfectly being correctly recognized, which of course don't happens on the 9200. Thanks!

2) A more complicated question: there is a way to boot into "pure dos" with Windows 98SE in an easy way? any boot disk (i have a working floppy drive and lot of empty floppies, in case) or something? Because by far the only way I do for boot into a "pure" DOS is press F8 before W98 bootscreen, and use "step by step", by only say no to HIMEM.SYS (otherwise i can't use JEMMEX, needed for SB16 emulation driver load on my SoundBlaster LIVE!) and say no also to "load WIN?", because after that it works flawlessy, but is just a loss of time to press all that Y,Y,Y,Y. I know that you can also press F5 (i think) and get into a instant dos session, but you have to load any TSR manually, which is even worse than the step by step mode.

3) Maybe less complicated: I have two HDD in my retropc: one with WIN98 SE, the other with WIN2000. I have done a lot of dual or trial booting in the past, but only on modern machines. The question is: how can i make a boot choice option when i start up the pc? if there is one, of course. For now the temporary trick (like the pure dos boot above), is to press ESC during the POST, and a radical boot menu appears so i can choose which HDD to boot, but sometimes i forgot to press it, or it takes more try to enable as not everytime works, so that i have to reset with ctrl+alt+canc for try again. Would be nice a simple screen when i can choose between 98 & 2000.

That's it, thanks for any answer and as always sorry for my dumbness, thanks for your help, and forgive my bad english 😁

Reply 1 of 16, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'll answer to question #2. You can make pc to boot to dos always by editing the system file msdos.sys in a text editor and change bootgui=1 to bootgui=0. You probably need to change the attributes not to be system, hidden and read only before you can edit it. If you do that the pc will boot to normal dos and you can start the win98se gui just by running win like with older windows versions. I do this with pretty much all my PCs that have win9x in them.

Reply 2 of 16, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

#1 sounds like the error message that UniVBE throws when it can't find a chipset it supports, which is anything beyond a TNT2 era card in my experience. The games you're having trouble with might have UniVBE compiled into them - you can try loading the game with a -U flag so that it doesn't use UniVBE and will use the card's inbuilt VESA support instead. And if not then there are some custom versions of the UniVBE driver around here somewhere for specific games.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 3 of 16, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For #2, in msdos.sys add a line with bootmenu=1, it will behave as if you press ctrl when Windows start, showing a menu with normal, safe mode, step by step, commandline and commandline in safe mode options.

For #3, you can add Windows 98 to the Windows 2000 boot menu/options, or use a 3rd party product like xosl if your Win98 hdd is the first drive.

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 4 of 16, by VenomSpark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thanks for all suggestions ^^

badmojo wrote on 2022-09-25, 23:55:

And if not then there are some custom versions of the UniVBE driver around here somewhere for specific games.

if you know where i could get them of remember the name, would be so apprecciated 😀

for now as i remember the games were GTA 1 (the game works but before it starts it check the SVGA and says no supported SVGA detected), and Trucks (the game don't run at all)

Reply 5 of 16, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
VenomSpark wrote on 2022-09-26, 09:50:

if you know where i could get them of remember the name, would be so apprecciated 😀

Search for "Modified univbe.drv drivers by Rob Muller" here: https://gona.mactar.hu/DOS_TESTS/

I've never needed to try them but this sounds similar to your problem...? In saying that the games you mentioned aren't listed in the readme - might be worth a shot anyway.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 6 of 16, by VenomSpark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lolo799 wrote on 2022-09-26, 09:24:

For #2, in msdos.sys add a line with bootmenu=1, it will behave as if you press ctrl when Windows start, showing a menu with normal, safe mode, step by step, commandline and commandline in safe mode options.

For #3, you can add Windows 98 to the Windows 2000 boot menu/options, or use a 3rd party product like xosl if your Win98 hdd is the first drive.

im still having a little trouble with the dual boot 🙁 For now i want to try with conventional modes without any 3rd party program, if not real needed. I tried to copy the msconfig of XP to 2000, which works, but i am having trouble with the boot.ini configuration. I don't know which command line is right. I tried the WINDOWS.000=Win98SE /fastdetect, but when i go to select it, it give me a windows 2000 error that can't find the files, so is a pretty fail. The OSes are in two different HDD, one with each proper partition. How can i fix this?

Reply 8 of 16, by VenomSpark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Disruptor wrote on 2022-09-26, 23:36:

Have you considered to use multiple partitions on a single disk?
How large are your disks?

both are 80GB. Yes, but this means wipe all data (or add a new one and split up) and i don't really want to do it or lose my W98 with hard work time of settings 🙁 also in the HDD with W98, i only have 5GB left as is full of goodies and games.. i'd like just to dual boot easily at startup without press ESC everytime, as in this mobo i don't know why not always works... 🙁

Reply 9 of 16, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I always split the os on my HDD and create a multiboot. If you consider wiping the machine and start from scratch I can help you making a multiboot for: OS/2, Dos/Win3x/Win9x/Linux and Amithlon on a single disk with bootmenu.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 13 of 16, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VenomSpark wrote on 2022-09-27, 22:27:

thanks for all answers guys 😀 i will try then BeOS or XFDISK, hoping they will work.. thanks again 😀

For BeOS you can either install the Personal Edition under Win98 that will take 500MB of your free space on the Win98 partition, start the Terminal and run bootman then follow the prompts.
Or if you boot from a BeOS disc, at the install menu press ctrl+alt+t to get the Terminal.
Some screenshots:
https://web.archive.org/web/20000614021755/ww … ng_bootman.html

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 14 of 16, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

XFDISK is by far the best partition and bootmanager because it can be installed accessed via dos/win9x/linux/freedos bootdisk, that's very handy and the bootmanager does not requira a partition, only the bootsector of the harddisk.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 15 of 16, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The "correct" way to install OS's if you don't want to use 3rd party software is install oldest to newest. So in this case install Win98 then 2000 and the Win2k installer would have created a boot menu for you.
but as you don't want to start again which is fair enough 3rd party is indeed your best bet.

For pure dos mode I create a shortcut on Win98's desktop to command.com and specify the autoexec.bat/config.sys settings within the shortcut, means you don't load up a load of useless drivers that may conflict or just useless with windows (networking been a good example)

Last edited by chinny22 on 2022-09-28, 13:29. Edited 1 time in total.