VOGONS

First post, by user33331

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello
Using a 2011 year Win7 laptop HP Pavilion DV7 with: ( Bought as a new and now 11 years old laptop with main fan replaced 1x time.)
- CPU: AMD A6-3410MX (1.6 GHz-2.3 GHz).
- RAM: 16 GB (8 GB x 2 ) Kingston HyperX DDR3-1866 CL11-11-11 @1.5V.
- SSDs 2.5": Kingston HyperX Savage 480 GB and Samsung 870 EVO 1 TB.

Do new modern laptops 2020+ offer any real advantages when browsing and such Windows use ?
I mean are there any real reasons for upgrade any more in todays world or is the power development slowed ?
- More energy efficient: CPU, RAM or visibly faster browsing ?
- Some laptops at least now offer 165Hz screens compared to old 50/60Hz.

The laptop works kind of ok but wanting something new to look at and don't mind if it is faster and time waste is therefore less.
Guess I'm used to 1990s and 2000s way of constantly buying up new machines in a very dense pace.

Last edited by user33331 on 2022-09-26, 08:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 3, by lepidotós

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In my experience, a lightweight OS will get you going with all those tasks even on a single-core 32-bit laptop like my PowerBook G4 that runs Debian Bookworm. I'd say the most different and interesting hardware coming out now is the MacBooks, and I guess I'm biased but not in the way that you'd think; I'm not pro-Apple but anti-amd64. ARM was a good choice for laptop use since the cores are clockless and can shut off when not in use, which is a decent amount of how Apple gets those 20 hour battery life figures, on top of the newer node than Intel can offer.

Reply 2 of 3, by brian105

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A newer machine will be definitely faster because of the CPU alone: your A6 was a low end K10-based CPU not too much faster than the CPUs that came before it. Having a lot of RAM and an SSD helps, but the CPU is just a massive bottleneck. I think a current Ryzen 3 mobile would be more than enough for your use cases and have the decoding capabilities needed for Youtube and all that stuff for a while.

Presario 5284: K6-2+ 550 ACZ @ 600 2v, 256MB PC133, GeForce4 MX 440SE 64MB, MVP3, Maxtor SATA/150 PCI card, 16GB Sandisk U100 SATA SSD
2007 Desktop: Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2v-MX SE, Foxconn 7950GT 512mb, 4GB DDR2 800, Audigy 2 ZS, WinME/XP

Reply 3 of 3, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

CPU and RAM footprint of simple web browsing is horrifying these days. You really want at least two fast cores and at least 8GB of RAM. Then there's whatever state the battery is in - chances are an 11yo laptop battery is dead.

Apart from that, on paper a new NVMe SSD is faster than an old SATA one, but compared to the difference between HDD and (SATA) SSD, it's negligible. Same thing about the screens - a good IPS/VA panel is far more important than some hyped-up refresh rate spec, particularly if you're not gaming. TN on a laptop is absolutely awful because you will frequently be looking at the screen at less than optimal vertical viewing angles, and 165Hz isn't going to change that.

Finally MS is going to EOL Windows 10 in 2025, and Win 11 requires TPM 2.0, which requires an Intel 8th gen Core or AMD 2nd gen Zen architecture. So if you want to continue to running Windows beyond that point (which for a laptop bought in 2022 is a relevant concert) you need newer hardware.