VOGONS

First post, by TrueVegas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all

I'm new to this site and I'm new to the world of "Retro PC".
I cannot find an aswear on the web (maybe because I'm Italian and I do not understand 100% english language). Anyway recently i bought a system with a Pentium 3 Tualatin 1,4 Ghz.
Whe I boot up the system i see a "BIOS error"

<BIOS:> BIOS update data incorrect. CPUID=000006B4,. Update not loaded.

After few hours I understand that the system is missing a microcode.
I can't find a way in order to solve this problem (always if it's a problem).
Moreover i see that the system is not stable: if I choose the standard CPU frequency (1400 Mhz) and try to install an OS like Windows 98 or Me, the system hangs after detecting the ATAPI CD-ROM driver; it finds the driver but hangs without errors. If I underclock the CPU to 1050Mhz or I reduce the RAM to 512 mb then it goes on -__-.
Here the specs:

MB: Asus TUV4X bios revision 1005
CPU: Intel Pentium 3 Tualatin 1.4 Ghz
RAM: Kingston PC133 (2x512)

I'm sorry for my bad languange and thank you in advance.

-TrueVegas-

Reply 4 of 18, by TrueVegas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

yes this is the real challenge because for now I have to do all manually. This PC cannot surf the internet (and I don't want), has no OS installed and I have no other PC (only at work).
For sure i will use the stable frequency of the CPU then we will see 😁

-TrueVegas-

Reply 6 of 18, by TrueVegas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Disruptor wrote on 2022-09-26, 22:10:

Welcome to the late 90's (and early 00's).

At least you have not landed in a time where you would have needed to dialup to a overseas BBS.

Yes and No 😁 Because i'm 36 years old. I had my first PC when I was 6 years old thanks to my father that bought to me a Philips MSX (I didn’t understand anything I just played). My first modem was a 56k and I had always followed the "media" building 2 or 3 PC. Surprisingly I did't deal with some kind of errors like this and it was a luck!

-TrueVegas-

Reply 7 of 18, by TrueVegas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Disruptor wrote on 2022-09-26, 17:08:

Perhaps you try the latest Beta BIOS 1006.002
https://www.asus.com/supportonly/TUV4X/HelpDesk_BIOS/

I worked! Now the system doesn't give the error.
But I cannot understand why the system doesn't boot with CPU clock set to 1,4 ghz...
I have to set it to 1050 Mhz

-TrueVegas-

Reply 8 of 18, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

From your description earlier. It sounds like maybe your problem is your ram.

Do you or anyone you know have a big pile of ram to try on it? Sometimes very specific sticks are the key to making it all work.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 9 of 18, by TrueVegas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-10-08, 07:41:

From your description earlier. It sounds like maybe your problem is your ram.

Do you or anyone you know have a big pile of ram to try on it? Sometimes very specific sticks are the key to making it all work.

You got the point.
The ram is new and if use less than 1 GB than the CPU goes without problems in 1.4 Ghz.
I have to be more precise: the system boots, POST goes ok but then when try to load the OS it hangs showing the "_" blinking..

Now I have 1,5 Gb of RAM with 4 modules 512x2 + 256x2
The RAM are:
- 512: SDRAM 133mhz pc133 168-pin cl3 kvr133x72rc3/512 (3.3V)
-256: SDRAM 133mhz pc133 168-pin cl3 kvr133x72rc3/256 (3.3 V)

I will try to ask my friends if they have old ram but I'm the only one of us that loves retro hardware 🤣

I can't really understand...

-TrueVegas-

Reply 10 of 18, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have experienced similar problems and it turned out to be excess load on RAM bus, sticks with chips on both sides were simply too much for the chipset to handle properly and errors started to happen even though sticks themselves were good and tested perfect individually.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 11 of 18, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It sucks, but sometimes best ram
Isn’t max ram.

Try 256 x 4

Try dual and single sided sticks.

single sided may work if overloading is the problem, dual may work if density is the problem.

Last edited by Sphere478 on 2022-10-08, 09:29. Edited 2 times in total.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 12 of 18, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As far as I know you can’t use more than 512MB of RAM with Windows 98 unless you manually change some registry settings. Not sure if the hang at boot is what happens in this case or not.

Anyway, you don’t really need more than 512MB for Windows 98 unless you know for a fact that you do or you just want to.

Reply 13 of 18, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh yeah^ forgot about that. Does ME have that problem also?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 14 of 18, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-10-08, 09:30:

Oh yeah^ forgot about that. Does ME have that problem also?

Yes. But the symptoms may differ. Attached the Microsoft fix.

Filename
Out of Memory Error Messages with Large Amounts of RAM Installed.pdf
File size
118.24 KiB
Downloads
46 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 15 of 18, by TrueVegas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tiido wrote on 2022-10-08, 08:31:

I have experienced similar problems and it turned out to be excess load on RAM bus, sticks with chips on both sides were simply too much for the chipset to handle properly and errors started to happen even though sticks themselves were good and tested perfect individually.

An update, I tried one module of 512, that has chips on both sides and 1,4 Ghz. It doesn't start 🙁
This is new because I remeber that the first time I tied, it did't halt on boot.... maybe I was wrong.
The problem seems to be something else..

-TrueVegas-

Reply 16 of 18, by Am386DX-40

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TrueVegas wrote on 2022-10-10, 21:10:
An update, I tried one module of 512, that has chips on both sides and 1,4 Ghz. It doesn't start :-( This is new because I remeb […]
Show full quote

An update, I tried one module of 512, that has chips on both sides and 1,4 Ghz. It doesn't start 🙁
This is new because I remeber that the first time I tied, it did't halt on boot.... maybe I was wrong.

I know I'm super late to the party, but just for documentation purposes you may try the following:

Go to the bios, find the option "CPU-DRAM Back-Back Transaction" and set it to DISABLED.

Then see if that solved the issue.

Taken from here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/tuv4x … st-post.423319/

Reply 17 of 18, by TrueVegas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Am386DX-40 wrote on 2023-07-25, 18:41:
I know I'm super late to the party, but just for documentation purposes you may try the following: […]
Show full quote
TrueVegas wrote on 2022-10-10, 21:10:
An update, I tried one module of 512, that has chips on both sides and 1,4 Ghz. It doesn't start :-( This is new because I remeb […]
Show full quote

I know I'm super late to the party, but just for documentation purposes you may try the following:

Go to the bios, find the option "CPU-DRAM Back-Back Transaction" and set it to DISABLED.

Then see if that solved the issue.

Taken from here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/tuv4x … st-post.423319/

It's never too late 😁. I abandoned the project but now with this information I will try!! Thank you for the suggestion!

-TrueVegas-