VOGONS

Reply 20 of 22, by eisapc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Great to hear it is working fine now.
Otherwise I could hae provided a spare CPU board, as I have several spares around.
The SCSI upgrade is a real improvement. The only pinhole on these machines is finding an adequate graphics solution.
There are allmost no high performance EISA graphics boards apart from some TIGA solutions only suitable for CAD.
Sticking with the Compaq graphics seems to be the best solution apart from switching to an ISA board for better compatibility.
Try to look for a 3C579 for an adequate Network solution, or go for one of the Compaq EISA Network boards.

Reply 21 of 22, by NightShadowPT

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
eisapc wrote on 2022-11-08, 08:04:
Great to hear it is working fine now. Otherwise I could hae provided a spare CPU board, as I have several spares around. The SC […]
Show full quote

Great to hear it is working fine now.
Otherwise I could hae provided a spare CPU board, as I have several spares around.
The SCSI upgrade is a real improvement. The only pinhole on these machines is finding an adequate graphics solution.
There are allmost no high performance EISA graphics boards apart from some TIGA solutions only suitable for CAD.
Sticking with the Compaq graphics seems to be the best solution apart from switching to an ISA board for better compatibility.
Try to look for a 3C579 for an adequate Network solution, or go for one of the Compaq EISA Network boards.

Happy to report the PC continues to be Rock Solid after the CPU change.

Got the network card, a 3C592-C 3COM Etherlink III.
It's working flawlessly with Windows 98, but I need to get it up and running in DOS. (on the To Do list)

On the topic of the graphics card, to be honest I'm quite happy with the Compaq QVision card. It's been performing on par or better than any of the EISA/ISA boards tested by Phil's ComputerLab.

By the way, do you have a CPU board that supports a Pentium 60/66? Was thinking it would be an interesting upgrade without having to pay for the extortionate prices of a Pentium Overdrive... 😀

Cheers,

NightShadowPT
----------------
Compaq Deskpro M 486/66 - 64MB Ram - Compaq QVision 1MB - Orpheus II Sound
Card - 4GB SCSI HDD + 4GB CF Card - SCSI CD-ROM Plextor PX-32TSi - Adaptec WideSCSI AHA-2740W - 3COM Etherlink III Card