VOGONS

Athlon XP 3200+ FSB problem

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 42, by Tzk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A few thoughts:
1. which revision is your Corsair Ram? Usually it's in the top left corner, it should read something like "XMS3202v1.2" or similar. Or as alternative: does it have Winbond BH-5 chips? Note that these do not post at CL3, only CL2 and CL2.5.

2. If i read that correctly, your Modu 82+ only got 20A on the 5V rail and 120W combined on 3.3V and 5V. That's not much, especially since the Asus feeds the cpu off the 5V rail.

3. Make sure to keep the multiplier of the cpu at auto or 11x. If the cpu is superlocked the system won't POST with any other multi. Usually cpus newer than ~week 35 of 2003 are multiplier locked.

4. I'd try Memtest86+ or a similar tool first to see if the system is stable at all. Sometimes the contacts inside the ram sockets are dirty or corroded, sometimes the Nforce 2 just doesn't like the ram...

Reply 41 of 42, by nd22

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It is, most likely, the CPU. I had a similar problem years ago. Try with a different CPU.
My own story with the Athlon 3700. I had one and installed it in the Abit NF8 pro. Every single time I entered BIOS and changed something - even if just the time - the system hang at reboot. If I left the system do its thing it would boot up only until XP started loading than bang, system froze. I tried that CPU in 3 different boards: KV8 pro, NF8 pro, NV8 and the same result on all of them. Every time I changed the CPU to a 3400 the system would let me change whatever I wanted in BIOS and booted up normally.