VOGONS

ram upgrade

Topic actions

First post, by kenan83

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello. I have 1 PCI s3 video card and a cirrius logic gd5428 vlb video card. I want to install two ram from S3 to the empty sockets of cirrius. But I couldn't understand how many ns the rams on S3 are. I looked in the datasheet and couldn't find it. Are these rams suitable for cirrius as ns. I would appreciate if you could help.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 6, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

V53C16258H is EDO.
Your GD5428 most likely needs FPM.

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 3 of 6, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Most probably not, they are different architecture. EDO is newer and faster. I'd the specific chip has the ability to run in FP mode it might work, but for that you'll have to look into the datasheet.

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 4 of 6, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just swap the two chips and you will see if it works. Usually it doesn't. But it won't break anything if it doesn't. Also you won't gain much with 2MB of memory. For DOS 1MB is enough and this card is pretty basic as a Windows accelerator.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 5 of 6, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kixs wrote on 2022-09-29, 23:27:

Also you won't gain much with 2MB of memory.

True.
The only additional modes are 1024x768x16bpp and 1280x1024x8bpp - both interlaced, so pretty much useless.

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 6 of 6, by kenan83

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello. I would like to share my experiences. I placed the memories I bought from S3 into the empty memory slots of cirrius. In my tests, the system saw the card as 2 mb. I didn't get any error sounds. The card works normally. However, the display is distorted during window transitions in windows. When the screen is refreshed, it returns to normal. There is no problem in normal use with DOS. I don't get color depth in games either (Doom). As far as I understand, edo and fpm rams work incompatible together. Now I will have to find fpm ram to cirrus.🙂

Attachments