VOGONS

First post, by Heatvent

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I picked up an Asus Rampage Formula motherboard (socket 775 with X48 chipset) and was testing it out. I noticed that part of the board was getting hot. It turns out the Marvell Gbe LAN chip (88E8056) is getting hot ... about 90 degrees C. There are actually two for dual Gbe and the other gets about 70 degrees. This is all at idle / standby.

The motherboard is otherwise functional and looking for advice. Running as is seems to be a bad idea since capacitors, etc. are also warming up around the chips. I am considering desoldering the chips ... I do have a cheap heat gun and some ChipQuick from another project. This is probably a bit beyond my competency but willing to try as the board is otherwise useless.

Does this seem like the right path or is there anything else I should do/try? I did try disabling LAN in the bios but that did nothing for the issue.

Thanks!

Reply 2 of 3, by Heatvent

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I got anxious to fix it and removed the more problematic chip. The board still works but one lan port is dead. The other lan port works fine and the remaining chip is no longer getting hot. So I think mission accomplished.

Last edited by Heatvent on 2022-10-03, 15:09. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 3, by Heatvent

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just to add some more in case someone else had this issue ... it looks like a couple of the pins burned up or had some corrosion. I am guessing this is what was causing the overheating or maybe this was the result of the chip shorting out. I used a cheap desoldering heat gun I bought on Amazon to remove the chip. I surrounded the areas with Kapton tape and put flux on the pins of the chip. I then heated slowly increasing temperatures. I had to go up to about 450 degrees but I think that is because it is a cheap air gun. I think starting around 350 - 400 should be enough. It takes a little while to get it to heat up so be patient and use tweasers to remove it as soon as the solder melts.

The board seems to be working fine now and I still have one LAN port working. Hopefully, none of the surrounding components were damaged ... mostly concerned about capacitors. I didn't run it long with it overheating but not sure if the prior owner did. I didn't try the LAN ports prior to the removal but my guess is it was working intermittently at best if they were using the board before the damage occurred ... who knows?

Attachments

• closeup.PNG
    Filename
    closeup.PNG
    File size
    1.18 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Close up of removed Marvell Gbe LAN Chip
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0