VOGONS

First post, by eesz34

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I posted about this a few months ago, but have a different set of questions about this now.

I have a P5 MB with an integrated controller that supports 2 drives, but want to add a 3rd floppy drive. So I built Sergey's Monster Floppy controller and populated only the secondary controller, which is on 0x370.

The add-in card controller works if I use a DOS driver like DOSFDRV.SYS and no floppy BIOS. But once I enable the onboard floppy BIOS, things just act weird. It won't boot from the integrated controller, won't boot from the secondary controller, and occasionally freezes during BIOS when announcing the presence of the floppy BIOS (might depend on the floppy BIOS settings). And I can't access any floppy drive in DOS.

Now, the floppy BIOS does appear to support two controllers with no way to disable the first, other than not installing the jumper for 0x3F0. But I wonder if the BIOS is clashing with the onboard. However, even if I disable the onboard floppy controller, it still won't boot from the add-in controller.

I don't understand what occurs during boot with regard to floppies. Is what I'm trying to do simply fraught with issues? Am I better off forgetting about the BIOS and just be happy that the driver operates the secondary controller? I think it would be nice to not have to use the driver, but maybe I can't do that.

Reply 2 of 4, by eesz34

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
maxtherabbit wrote on 2022-10-06, 20:01:

well at least I made my driver only take up a little bit of memory 😁

Hey it's you! Yes, about 6K so not that bad. But from a purist's point of view he'd want no driver required for something that the integrated controller seems to get by without. That is, that DOS picks up those drives automatically with no driver.

Reply 3 of 4, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In my experience, floppy card option ROMs tend to be speed sensitive and don't like being shadowed. How fast is the system and can you disable shadowing for the ROM?

Sergey's floppy ROM in particular also has other issues, it is very slow for example

Reply 4 of 4, by eesz34

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
maxtherabbit wrote on 2022-10-06, 20:14:

In my experience, floppy card option ROMs tend to be speed sensitive and don't like being shadowed. How fast is the system and can you disable shadowing for the ROM?

Sergey's floppy ROM in particular also has other issues, it is very slow for example

It's 133MHz and all the shadowing is disabled. I'm just not sure why it seems to screw with the onboard controller.