VOGONS

First post, by kotsoskorg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good day comrades,
I picked this fdd. I fixed some issues but I experience this error. Any idea?

Attachments

Reply 1 of 14, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you sure that is a D509 V2 ? The jumper layout is diff than others in the archives. can you take a picture of the label on the drive ?
What issues did you fix ? What computer/floppy controller is it connected too ?
I see it is jumped DS1, RD, MS, DC and LD.... which seems correct for some PC with setting as A: drive at end of twist or B: drive with no twist.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 14, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Checking some boxes here... Is it a High Density disk? Has it been formatted in another type of system previously? (Apple, Minix, VMS... ) Is the hub ring slipping due to poor clamping, worn or dirty spindle, worn disk?

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3 of 14, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are the drive heads clean? , I had an issue with a 1.2mb floppy drive refusing to read disks because there was a layer of crud on the heads , took me forever to clean it off with qtips soaked in alcohol.
After that though it magically worked and has been fine ever since.

Reply 4 of 14, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If it's hard to identify whether it's officially crud or not, remember it's 2 pantones lighter than cruft. 😉

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 5 of 14, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-10-12, 04:54:

If it's hard to identify whether it's officially crud or not, remember it's 2 pantones lighter than cruft. 😉

I dunno I'm not the greatest judge when it comes to gradations of grime 😆
I'll let the picture speak for itself.

20210921_161115.jpg
Filename
20210921_161115.jpg
File size
1.17 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 6 of 14, by rolierop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the same problem/same error under DOS 6.22. Yesterday I installed a Panasonic ju-455-5 aag, this is a 360k diskdrive.
The only 5.25" disks I have to test are old C64/C128 disks with games. I guess that's my problem. It seems the drive cannot read C64 formatted disks. Would that be right?
I tried Fdformat, it will try to format the disk, but only when i turn of verification. Near the end, at cilinder 2, it goes wrong. Please advice!

FIC 486-VIP-IO2 | Intel 486DX2 66 Mhz Overdrive | PicoGus
MSI MS-5168 | Intel Pentium 233 MMX | Sound Blaster Live
Asus P2B-F|Intel Pentium III 550 | Yamaha Audician 32 + Dreamblaster
MSI P35 Platinum | Intel Core2Duo E8600 | Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Value

Reply 7 of 14, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

C64 disks are usually Single Sided SSDD, to take a PC 360k format you need DSDD... now the slight catch is, if they were C64 and say DSDD on, were they actually good both sides DSDD originally, or was it a disk with a bad side, sold surplus to C64 market to use single sided.

Reply 8 of 14, by rolierop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-10-12, 14:41:

C64 disks are usually Single Sided SSDD, to take a PC 360k format you need DSDD... now the slight catch is, if they were C64 and say DSDD on, were they actually good both sides DSDD originally, or was it a disk with a bad side, sold surplus to C64 market to use single sided.

Well, they where all DSDD and DSHD from several brands like 3M, Nashua, Verbatim.
100% filled with C64 games.
I tried several and they all acted the same when I tried formatting them as 360k.
I hope to get a few 'original' MS-DOS formatted floppies soon, so I can see if they will work.

Reply 9 of 14, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sometimes you just have to fire up a linux bootable CD or USB just to "dd" the disks so DOS doesn't go "There is information here I don't understand REEEEEEEE.."

Reply 10 of 14, by kotsoskorg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2022-10-12, 01:36:

Are you sure that is a D509 V2 ? The jumper layout is diff than others in the archives. can you take a picture of the label on the drive ?
What issues did you fix ? What computer/floppy controller is it connected too ?
I see it is jumped DS1, RD, MS, DC and LD.... which seems correct for some PC with setting as A: drive at end of twist or B: drive with no twist.

Thank you comrade.
Yes I am sure for D509 V2. It is printed on the devices’ upper shield.
Yes I will. I already downloaded the manual which includes the jumper position for the usage.
I fixed some loose solder joints, a motor problem, I cleaned the device very well.
Two floppy are connected together, the other works fine, these two devices are on a controller on the same cable.
The A is the dead, and the B is a 3.5” 1.44Mb

Reply 11 of 14, by rolierop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Update from my side: Today I received two good MS-DOS formatted 5.25" disks. I placed them in my drive and voila, they worked fine!

Yesterday I tried to format the C64 disks using Linux, but that also gave errors. So, my guess is that C64/C128 formatted disks are not going to work this way. I will try Imagedisk and see what I can do with these C64 disks.
Maybe someone knows how to get these disks useable again on a MS-DOS machine.

Reply 12 of 14, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Might be the normal 1.2Mb trying to write 360kb struggles, in that in low density mode, it only writes half a track, such that strong data flipped one way when it writes it the other, on the other half track keeps it from verifying. You kinda have to treat 360kb disks like CDRW.

Reply 13 of 14, by rolierop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, an update. I reveived 2 known good MS-DOS formatted disks. Reading them was no problem at all. Both disks checked to be 100% fine. Total of 360kb and no errors.
I tried to format one and it completed to 100% without an error. Then I looked at the summary it gave..... more then 600kb total space? Around 400kb not usable?
I tried formatting this disk again and guess what? Track 0 error and all the same issues as I have with these 'C64' disks.

Does this mean my drive is dead?

Reply 14 of 14, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Formatting a 360K floppy disk in a 1.2MB drive is normally done with

format /f:360 a:
or
format /4 a:

Are you using that syntax ?

What is the drive configured as in the system's BIOS, presumably 1.2MB ?

Might be worth trying the problem drive alone one the floppy controller, possibly with a different cable, just in case .