VOGONS

First post, by dstaley

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know that the last officially supported Nvidia GPU generation for Windows 2000 was the GeForce 7 series of GPUs. I also know that at least one person has successfully run a GPU from the GeForce 200 series on a stock installation of Windows 2000, leading me to suspect that there may be support for the generations between 7 and 200.

In the case of GeForce 200 support, it looks like above linked post has success using the 197 drivers, albeit the Nvidia Control Panel application relied on syscalls that weren't introduced until Windows XP. This makes me believe that there's probably a combination of a newer-than-GeForce-7 GPU and older-than-197 driver that would result in a fully working system on Windows 2000 (including Nvidia Control Panel). For example, the 178 drivers were released a little under two years before the 197 drivers and support the GTX 280, so I guess it's theoretically possible that those drivers don't rely on Windows XP syscalls for the Control Panel application.

I'd love to hear more stories about running these "unsupported" GPUs on Windows 2000 without the use of modifications like the Extended kernel.

Reply 1 of 7, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I do not have a story but running an (edited) driver for early OS does sometimes work in newer OS . That is common knowledge.
However having an OS specific DLL work (as in the nVidia control Panel for said same version driver) under a different OS would require re-writing the DLL or replacing the DLL and CPL with an earlier version that does work with older OS -AND- work with the driver too. Not a simple task but if one has lots of time might find a certain combination that does work, however that would be for just that one driver version + DLL and CPL version...AFAIK.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 7, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have you searched the MSFN forums?, like this topic for example:
https://msfn.org/board/topic/183632-nvidia-gr … dows-2000-2010/

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 3 of 7, by dstaley

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright, I'm taking one for the team and am going to try out every driver I can get my hands on with the GTX 280 I just ordered (assuming I figure out how to install Windows 2000 with a USB instead of a CD drive!). Depending on how that goes, I may go backwards and test out some GeForce 9 cards as well.

Reply 4 of 7, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't use Windows 2000 much past years. But with Windows XP I have a working system with a Geforce GT 710 2GB GDDR5 bought new 2021. Small passive card. Details here.
The driver I use now, is stable with everything, even with 3D benchmarks. Some other driver versions seemed to work fine at first, but were somewhat unstable when stressed.
The only small issue I have with the current combination, is that PCIe lane idling sticks to x1 lane after a warm reboot, while it behaves properly with a cold boot or after a standy-wake cycle. When stuck at PCIe v1.1 @ x1 lane; GPU-Z shows it, and one can notice a drop in 3D frame-rate too.

Just to say that that there can be a big difference between booting up and showing the desktop properly, compared to also being reliable for 3D tasks.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 5 of 7, by dstaley

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright, I gave driver 178 a shot on Windows 2000 SP4 with a GTX 280. Installation did produce an error mentioning invalid command line parameters, but managed to make it to the success screen, prompting a reboot. After that, I was able to change color depth and resolution from the taskbar icon, but the Nvidia Control Panel didn't seem to be installed. This seems to mirror the experiences of the other post I mentioned in the OP.

I have a 7950 GT coming this weekend, and I'll try to grab a 9800 if I see any going for a reasonable price.

Reply 6 of 7, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think the issue is how the driver interacts with the card. Both version 257 and 197 work perfectly with my 6800 GS, but the same drivers behave differently with the GTX 285.

I suspect that the 7950 GT will work correctly given it's relationship to the 6-series. I wonder if the 9800 would have the same issue as the 200-series given that it's a DirectX 10 design.

Reply 7 of 7, by TheFighterJetDude

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The 258.96 XP driver works on vanilla 2000, I got it working with a GTX 460, but it supports up to the 480. Dualview and the control panel also work. The only thing is it needs to be installed via the device manager, because if you install it using the installer it will force install the hd audio driver, which will cause a BSOD on 2000.