VOGONS

First post, by MC_Frag

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone!

I got a Schneider Euro PC with the usual batterie damage. I fixed the damaged tracks. I measured the voltage and the ratings seemed to be ok.
But i'm get no picture output and at startup i get only one long beep code for 5 or 6 seconds?! In the original Schneider service manual there's nothing described for this long single beep.

Have any of you encountered this problem?

Reply 2 of 10, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MC_Frag wrote on 2022-10-15, 07:35:

But i'm get no picture output and at startup i get only one long beep code for 5 or 6 seconds?! In the original Schneider service manual there's nothing described for this long single beep.

Before I start searching the BIOS code of the Euro PC, can you please confirm that you are talking about the "original" Euro PC design that supports only up to 512KB of RAM, and not about the slightly different "Euro PC II"?

Reply 3 of 10, by nuno14272

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hi there.

I have the Scneider Europc with the same "one long beep"... no image output...
Can this be memory issues ?

1| 386DX40
2| P200mmx, Voodoo 1
3| PIII-450, Voodoo 3 3000

Reply 4 of 10, by Kekkula

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got past one long beep by replacing faulty 74f245 with 74ls245.
Now I'm stuck because bios settings don't save to rtc. I already ordered "new" m3002-16pi, but I'm not sure if that will fix the problem.
At least it didn't fix kojro's euro pc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qot_udYZAno

Reply 5 of 10, by poiex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi got same problem one long beep no picture and my diagcard gives BF -- , i allready tryed to change U3 74f245 to 74hc245 only one i got in my stock should i try the ls version does it matter?
and allso tested the 74ls373 same what kojro changed in his video but those were fine too.

Reply 6 of 10, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kekkula wrote on 2024-03-29, 19:47:

I got past one long beep by replacing faulty 74f245 with 74ls245.

LS is not a good substitute for F series. Too slow and it will cause glitches. ALS or ACT should work if F is hard to find.

Reply 7 of 10, by Kekkula

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My bios actually saves the settings I just couldn't see it because my Philips pro 78m743 doesn't sync to any signal euro pc sends.
I also couldn't get my Trident tvga8900c working in euro pc's isa slot, but I got better luck with Tseng et3000ax, it could sync with philips monitor and regular vga tft.
So the 74ls245 seems to work fine, I'm waiting for f to arrive from China so I can replace it.
Next problem is that the only isa slot is now taken with vga card so I'm stuck with only the non standard 720k floppy drive. Which doesn't read anything else than DD floppies... of which I only got a few. I've tried to use HD floppies with tape, it reads dir, but gives data error if I try to execute anything from 720k formated HD floppy.

Reply 8 of 10, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kekkula wrote on 2024-04-01, 18:08:

I've tried to use HD floppies with tape, it reads dir, but gives data error if I try to execute anything from 720k formated HD floppy.

Try to format the taped HD disk on the Schneider, then put it in another machine to write files to it. In general this isn't an issue, probably the alignment of one of your drives is a tad off.

Reply 9 of 10, by Kekkula

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That's exactly what I've been trying to do but yet no success.
I've formated HD disk on Euro Pc drive then write data on it with usb drive, new internal sony drive on 286 machine, then I swapped older 90's drive to 286 machine and, for now results are always the same. I can see files in Euro Pc but executing files gives data error.
If I format disk in Euro Pc then copy files on disk on usb drive I can execute files on 286, but I get data error on Euro pc 🙁

Reply 10 of 10, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Trident cards require ALE signal on ISA to work properly. Some 8900C cards don't need it (or can be modded to ignore it) but perhaps yours also requires it? Or maybe the LS245 is too slow and you are getting weird problems because of it. It doesn't have to be a clear cut working/not working with a slow chip but data glitching that's somewhat random in nature.

As for the floppy drive, perhaps it requires maintenance. It could be mis-stepping or perhaps the heads are dirty. If you haven't checked the noise levels coming out of the PSU you might want to do that. Could be some electrolytic caps are very tired now and you have a lot of ripple on the +5V line. This will also cause random problems. It is my understanding these Euro PCs were not very well designed and are prone to many issues - especially after so many years.