VOGONS

First post, by nfraser01

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

HI All

I've sucessfully removed the BIOS password from an old Toshiba before (Parallel port hack) but I've recently acquired a Z-Note 325L which came with a BIOS password. I've tried a few obvious passwords but does anyone know of any password bypass techniques instead?

Googling seems to suggest shorting 2 motherboard pins might work but I don't have specifics for this particular motherboard ...Anyone know where to start looking?

TIA

PS I *like* this forum font...

Reply 1 of 14, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah wish I could help but the only "vintage" laptop I have left is a Toshiba Satellite 110cs. Decades ago had many but they became too much work if there was an issue so sold most. Now wish I didn't....
I know there is a great collector market for them but for me back then the work you have to do to fix one was near obscene compared to a regular vintage PC 🙁

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 14, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I used one for many years, but never locked myself out. What type of password is set, boot password or just can't change settings?

Either of these work? https://www.passwordsdatabase.com/vendor/zenith

If you only have settings lock, you can maybe get rid of it with a CMOS clear util, if you have the floppy and booting floppy is enabled.

Though there's an itch in my brain about this being the system I had when I first learned about HDD locked passwords. So wondering if the manual said something about it, or whether it was in relation to something else.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3 of 14, by nfraser01

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-10-16, 04:47:

I used one for many years, but never locked myself out. What type of password is set, boot password or just can't change settings?

Appears immediately on boot so BIOS/Boot password. I've removed the hard drive and still appears so definately not a HDD password.

Not seen this list before - thanks. Will try the 1st one. Already tried the second...

If you only have settings lock, you can maybe get rid of it with a CMOS clear util, if you have the floppy and booting floppy is enabled.

Tried CMOS battery out for 24 hours but no help...

Thanks for the input. I'll keep everyone updated

Reply 4 of 14, by nfraser01

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
nfraser01 wrote on 2022-10-16, 10:45:

Not seen this list before - thanks. Will try the 1st one. Already tried the second...

Nope, no luck.

Looks like its going to have to be a motherboard short circuit. Just need to find out what needs shorting to what 😒

Reply 6 of 14, by nfraser01

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Predator99 wrote on 2022-10-16, 21:01:

Is the EPROM on a socket and are you able to replace it? Can you provide a dump of your BIOS?

Can't recall from wghen I had it apart. will look when I get the chance. I don't have any EPROM readers etc though...

Reply 7 of 14, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Since battery removal and clear attempts have you tried to enter a null string password? (just press return) because some clear and still have the prompt.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 8 of 14, by nfraser01

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-10-16, 21:58:

Since battery removal and clear attempts have you tried to enter a null string password? (just press return) because some clear and still have the prompt.

No, I probably have not....

Reply 9 of 14, by esasoft

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
nfraser01 wrote on 2022-10-16, 20:29:

Nope, no luck.

Official Zenith Data Systems BIOS "Password Removal Menu" guide (downloaded from WA copy of Packard Bell old FTP).

Filename
PASSWORD.zip
File size
37.94 KiB
Downloads
28 downloads
File license
Public domain

"Z-Note 320/325

Remove maths Co-Pro Cover above Kbd on top of machine.
to left of co-pro socket are a pair of solder pads R39.
Power off the PC ( Set to OFF/ON not Rest/Resume )
Short the PADS and power up the PC. Wait until all the ICONs on the LCD panel blink. Remove the short, then do a hard/cold reset ( press Power and Reset buttons ).
This procedure also deletes the LAN ID. Use SETLANID to re-enter the LAN ID."

Reply 10 of 14, by nfraser01

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
esasoft wrote on 2023-11-27, 13:04:

to left of co-pro socket are a pair of solder pads R39.
Power off the PC ( Set to OFF/ON not Rest/Resume )
Short the PADS and power up the PC. Wait until all the ICONs on the LCD panel blink. Remove the short, then do a hard/cold reset ( press Power and Reset buttons ).

Amazing bit of info.
I can see the silkscreened R39 but I can't quite work out which pads it refers too - I'll have alook again in better light.
Fingers crossed it will work

Thanks again

Reply 12 of 14, by nfraser01

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
esasoft wrote on 2023-11-29, 06:56:

Well, did it help?

YES!

I was able to start the machine for the first time.

It appears the hard drive is faulty as it won't spin up. Interestingly the laptop didn't even try to do that with the password in place.

Also intestingly it's dumped me into some kind of monitor programme that allows testing, reading am executing memory addresses and other interesting stuff... See attached picture

Thanks again.

Attachments

Reply 13 of 14, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's a little offtopic for this model, but I'm not sure this information is on the web. For Zenith models:

- 286 LP/8
- 286 LP/12
- 286 LP Plus
- 248/12
- 386SX
- 386/20/25/33
- 386/33E
- MinisPort
- MinisPort HD

The password can be disabled by removing the EEPROM chip from the board or grounding pin 4 on the 93C46 EEPROM.

image_2023-11-29_131449921.png
Filename
image_2023-11-29_131449921.png
File size
343.54 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 14 of 14, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Where can I find the SETLANID command? The original HDD I have in my Zenith is totally dead and I don't have recovery media for it.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser