VOGONS

First post, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey does anyone know how to get wipeout 2097 working with the pcx1?
It asks for a videologic apocalypse but I've got the japanese version of the card made by NEC , I'm assuming that's the problem?
Is there any workaround for this , to get the game to run in SGL?

Reply 1 of 15, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's a picture of the error and proof I've got the drivers working.
I've even tried different drivers but no dice.

20221020_194316.jpg
Filename
20221020_194316.jpg
File size
1.33 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
20221020_194236.jpg
Filename
20221020_194236.jpg
File size
1.28 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 3 of 15, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr.zeissler wrote on 2022-10-20, 12:34:

I have a PCX1 and could check that if you like. Where do I get the SGL version?

It's Direct3D, there is no SGL version. He is probably trying to run the bundled version from a Videologic card which has a PCI ven blocker in the code. There are example of other bundled games with the same limitation.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 4 of 15, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vetz wrote on 2022-10-20, 13:17:

It's Direct3D, there is no SGL version. He is probably trying to run the bundled version from a Videologic card which has a PCI ven blocker in the code. There are example of other bundled games with the same limitation.

Insane. Why on earth were people doing such things, even? 🤷‍♂️
I mean, the hardware is so obscure, anyway!
It's as if someone places a minefield in an area with high radiation..

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 15, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How come the installer differentiates direct3d and powervr then?

pwrvrw.png
Filename
pwrvrw.png
File size
27.55 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 6 of 15, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2022-10-20, 13:42:
Insane. Why on earth were people doing such things, even? 🤷‍♂️ I mean, the hardware is so obscure, anyway! It's as if someone pl […]
Show full quote

It's as if someone places a minefield in an area with high radiation..

I certainly hope that's not the case , but companies have done stupider things.
Maybe there's a way of spoofing the exe via disassembly or hex editing?

Reply 7 of 15, by dunzdeck

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
AppleSauce wrote on 2022-10-20, 14:28:

I certainly hope that's not the case , but companies have done stupider things.
Maybe there's a way of spoofing the exe via disassembly or hex editing?

I'm certain it's fairly easy to bypass the check that throws up the initial MsgBox shown. I've certainly done things like that before with little more experience than IA32 assembly knowledge. Just NOP it out or if you're really lazy, flip the JNE into a JE ;P

What happens afterwards though is anybody's guess!

Reply 8 of 15, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jo22 wrote on 2022-10-20, 13:42:

Obscure today, high end 3D back then. They did it because they paid for the game port. Just like Destruction Derby Descent II S3D ports paid by Diamond
Destruction Derby for the Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 vetz removed Diamond driver check and included the patch down in the thread.

Last edited by Dominus on 2022-10-20, 21:21. Edited 1 time in total.
Reason: link to full game on archive.org

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 9 of 15, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AppleSauce wrote on 2022-10-20, 14:26:

Wipeout 2097 was a PowerVR Extreme rated title. That meant really high compatibility and good performance. Direct3D titles are alittle hit and miss on the PowerVR cards, and many games require you to select the right settings in the drivers. I'd love to be proven wrong, but from what I remember when I tested this back 10 years ago, the PowerVR install option is an optimized executable for PowerVR cards, but it's still running in Direct3D.

I'm pretty sure the hardware check could be removed with hex editing, like I did with Destruction Derby (and have been done on other bundled games by others).

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 10 of 15, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AppleSauce wrote on 2022-10-17, 10:22:

It asks for a videologic apocalypse but I've got the japanese version of the card made by NEC , I'm assuming that's the problem?

1) Remove 3DFx Voodoo from your PC
2) What videocard installed in your PC? If it 3D accelerated - it may be prevent Wipeout to start?
3) Try to change Primary D3D accelerator by 3DCC utility for Windows

Need help? Begin with photo and model of your hardware 😉

Reply 11 of 15, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote on 2022-10-21, 07:37:

I'd love to be proven wrong, but from what I remember when I tested this back 10 years ago, the PowerVR install option is an optimized executable for PowerVR cards, but it's still running in Direct3D.

Yes that's exactly what it is: Direct3D tailored to run on PowerVR cards, there is no SGL.

Reply 12 of 15, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote on 2022-10-21, 07:37:
AppleSauce wrote on 2022-10-20, 14:26:

Wipeout 2097 was a PowerVR Extreme rated title. That meant really high compatibility and good performance. Direct3D titles are alittle hit and miss on the PowerVR cards, and many games require you to select the right settings in the drivers. I'd love to be proven wrong, but from what I remember when I tested this back 10 years ago, the PowerVR install option is an optimized executable for PowerVR cards, but it's still running in Direct3D.

I'm pretty sure the hardware check could be removed with hex editing, like I did with Destruction Derby (and have been done on other bundled games by others).

Oh wow that's lame , I was under the impression it used native SGL. I guess ill just stick to using my Voodoo to run the game since its using direct3d then.

Reply 13 of 15, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Babasha wrote on 2022-10-21, 08:04:
1) Remove 3DFx Voodoo from your PC 2) What videocard installed in your PC? If it 3D accelerated - it may be prevent Wipeout to s […]
Show full quote

2) What videocard installed in your PC? If it 3D accelerated - it may be prevent Wipeout to start?

Yeah I noticed if I ran the powervr card in HAL mode the screen would flicker like crazy , I guess because the two cards were fighting for control over 3d rendering.
So yeah removing the card would probably be necessary if I wanted to run direct3d with the powervr.
If I leave the powervr card in native mode , but try to run the regular exe not the powervr one then the voodoo works fine.
I might still try bypassing the exe for the hell of it , but id imagine it would be a similar issue , still if its not a native game I'm not super keen on bothering with removing the voodoo.

Reply 14 of 15, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Babasha wrote on 2022-10-21, 08:04:
1) Remove 3DFx Voodoo from your PC 2) What videocard installed in your PC? If it 3D accelerated - it may be prevent Wipeout to s […]
Show full quote

To try this on PVR you have to choose D3D to PowerVR in 3DCC and also activate D3D in the PowerVR Driver-Settings.
If you have done this correctly and test hellbender you will see a popup that shows you what features are missing,
this will not popup if still have a 3dfx-card activated in you system.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 15 of 15, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Holy necro bump! I just thought I'd try PowerVR WipEout 2097 on my Matrox M3D, and both the custom PowerVR version and the commercial CD-ROM version only work with Videologic PowerVR cards (that I used to have!).

So, without some hex-hackery you can't play it on anything other than presumably an Apocalypse 3D, 3DX or 5D card!

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor