VOGONS

First post, by freekymachine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey,

Still got that Mainboard ;

img_0974gmj46.jpg

tried to start it up, but no reaction at all - Not entirely sure why, if Bios is dead - or just PSU related.
Yet, when i checked, the Bios Jumper was on reset - for maybe a decade, orig. bios battery empty anyway ofc, tried with other one.

Thinking it is PSU related - dont have a WTX here, but adapter for it, yet nothing happens.
Also since the PSU i have, doesnt have the 2x 4 Pin, only one -tried to adapet the other 4 pins, since they are supposed to be only 12V anyway ?!

Any ideas, Tips, or PSU i should use ?

Thanks and greetings

Last edited by freekymachine on 2022-10-22, 20:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 6, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

nothing happens aka psu doesnt start? that can mean total short, standby circuit bad, or standby detecting something it doesnt like etc
first thing first, unplug supply and measure resitance on 5 12 3.3 lines and on PSAUX 12
I asume you checked your adapter according to https://images10.newegg.com/UploadFilesForNew … 44357078701.pdf
plug everything back in and check voltage on purple and green when pressing Power button.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 2 of 6, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Agree. Can you make sure the WTX adapter is the proper one. There are two types depending on the motherboard: https://pinoutguide.com/Power/wtxmain_pinout.shtml
The location of the PWRon and Powergood plus the voltage mains are different between the two.
Also at the Iwill web archive they sold a "bare bones" with board, case and 460w psu.
Here is link to the their included PSU manual and yes the 8 pin uses +12v and GND but only on six pins as in the attached picture
http://web.archive.org/web/20020616160923/htt … s/ENS-0246A.PDF

Attachments

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 6, by freekymachine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2022-10-17, 23:43:

nothing happens aka psu doesnt start? that can mean total short, standby circuit bad, or standby detecting something it doesnt like etc
first thing first, unplug supply and measure resitance on 5 12 3.3 lines and on PSAUX 12

PSU is fine, Enermax 365Watt, used it to test OR840, P3C-D and P3C-E's.

And no... didnt check the adapter, i really assumed that was the adapter for the Mainboard, or more remembered "that must be the adapter", but as memory's fade after 15 years, i obviosly remembered something wrong.
Turns out, the adapter I have is an ATX to ATX/EPS Adapter... as male to female and male to female - must have been for a total different system.

img_3045jydln.jpg

I did check in general WTX Pin Layout and was a bit woundering.

Man i feel dumb, well.. i still remember french language.. "Je ne comprende pas + Voule vou couche avec moi + Bonjour and Croissant" - which is i bet much wrong aswell 😀

Horun wrote on 2022-10-18, 00:55:

Agree. Can you make sure the WTX adapter is the proper one. There are two types depending on the motherboard
The location of the PWRon and Powergood plus the voltage mains are different between the two.
Also at the Iwill web archive they sold a "bare bones" with board, case and 460w psu.

Yeah, cause when i was woundering, i noticed that the Pwr-On (green one def isnt in the right place)

Thanks so much for the both names of the possible PSU i could use, which also give away the Pin-Layouts needed !!

Love you 2 so much already 😀)

With bit luck i already found both PSU nearby and cheap too - still need to know/find out if they have 8 Pin with 8 wires or 6 wires - since i need the 6 wire one, the 8 wire is again the EPS one.

Reply 4 of 6, by freekymachine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It lives !!

Found PSU, but they are ofc all EPS ones - finding orig. as WTX could be impossible, since the PSU was built for only 4 !!! Mainboards.

So I de-assembled both these"adapters" I had - realizing now, after quick re-cap on my own old pic....
"what was that for a cable ? why did i put it into the box with the iWill ?! Looks more like an extension one"
No idea ! Too long ago - i printed the manual back on 15.07.2007 / 7/15/07 and put it into the box aswell. Since then it was sitting there.

I forged out of the parts a new WTX one, thx to the manuals given from @Horun & @Rasz_pl.

img_3053jxipy.jpg

Works! - Bios Jumper was correct, Batterie ofc dead - Godbless, EPS PSU ofc couldnt start, since the relais/PWR-Pin was total wrong position,
so nothing burned on my first test ...still quite...dangrously dumb of me, sry for that PC-God^^

img_30474pewy.jpgimg_3049hacrc.jpgimg_305279eap.jpgimg_3051mxi3t.jpg

4x 512MB Samsung Rambus PC800 ECC / Tested with 2x Xeon DP 2,4Ghz and 1x Engineering Sample Xeon MP on old Thermalright XP90c + Gainward Geforce 5900XT.

So nice to see it alive - Thanks for the Help! 😀

Reply 5 of 6, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ohh that is great news ! Am glad the PSU never powered on in your first test, that could have been disatrous....
was going to suggest you modify a 24 pin ATX extension cable by pulling pins and re-aligning but was waiting to see if you found out anything.
Great work !

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 6 of 6, by freekymachine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks,
well i did rip/pull out all the pins of the 2 Adapters, built myself tiny tool to push the pins, took a while and the re-installed nearly all cables from the old adapters, few i had to re-do, since the old adapter didnt had enough leftovers, so soldered a few cables and built Y bridges, where needed.

Still playing with that machine, managed too boot up some old SCSI drives, which even had OS on it i instantly could use, one was win2k3 😀

Thanks again and cu around^^