VOGONS

First post, by sofakng

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What's the smallest motherboard form factor that has ISA slots and can support a Pentium (MMX) CPU?

The PC/104 standard is fantastic but doesn't have ISA unless you use adapters, etc.

I'm wondering what is the smallest PC I can build that can use a real soundcard (ie. Adlib, etc) and has a full set of I/O ports (serial, parallel, etc).

Reply 1 of 9, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some Baby AT boards are fairly tight, this one is barely longer than space for the slots...
https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/adc-gc111-gciii

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 9, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Pc104 is gonna be the smallest, catch is usually that means backplane.

You could get a small backplane and could be as small as two card slots. 😀

(Could even make one)

Attachments

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 5 of 9, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Solo761 wrote on 2022-10-19, 08:20:

This one is also one of the smaller AT boards, it even has AGP

https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/pcpart … 4-35-8954-00-01

There´s even a stock BIOS available with K6-2+ and K6-III+ support for this mobo.
I think it´s the most advanced one so far.

Reply 6 of 9, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Then there's a lot on mATX form factor that have video and sound on board...
https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/?showIma … 5D%5Bcount%5D=1

So those you can put in a 2" high "pizza box" maybe 10" square with a miniATX psu, and "1U" heatsink (s370 1U sinks should fit socket 7, StarTech makes one)

edit: Should you particularly want other cards, you can get right angle headers and lay one or maybe 2 flat if they are low profile.
editII: Actually with many of those being super 7 you can use a K6-2+ or 3+ which will give you "dial a speed" capability with software.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 7 of 9, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This one is also one of the smaller AT boards, it even has AGP

That or Gigabyte GA-5AA.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 8 of 9, by Solo761

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
majestyk wrote on 2022-10-19, 09:44:

There´s even a stock BIOS available with K6-2+ and K6-III+ support for this mobo.
I think it´s the most advanced one so far.

I have K6-II 500 in mine. Pictures on retroweb are from me, from Manli version 😅.

Actually I have two of these, one PCPartner and the other is Manli version. They're 99% the same. Biggest difference between the two is Manli has PLCC BIOS ROM and PCPartner has DIP BIOS ROM chip. Other than that they're the same.

Another interesting thing is that under AT keyboard connector there are pin holes for PS/2 keyboard connector. My PCPartner variant had broken AT connector, I didn't have any replacements but I had PS/2 connectors. Replaced it with that one after checking that pin connections go where they're supposed to and it works.