VOGONS

First post, by DukkyJr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Guys,

I have recently picked up an Compaq Prolinea 3/25s with matching monitor, keyboard and so a dot matrix printer for spares are repair.

On investigating it seem like the power supply died and took out a titanium capacitor on it way out. It looks like its the -5 side but the rest of the board looks ok.

IMG20221020121232.jpg
Filename
IMG20221020121232.jpg
File size
1.05 MiB
Views
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

I have bought an AT to ATX adapter so I can test the board when my new titanium capacitors turn up.

Would you recommend repairing the Compaq power supply, find a good working AT or just modify an ATX with the AT connector of the Compaq one.

The Compaq one when power off the pc, just spins the fan for a few seconds and then shuts off.

Cheers

Reply 1 of 2, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

By "titanium" I assume you mean tantalum 😛 .

Your power supply is probably fine, the symptoms you describe (fan trying to spin and shut off) is usually due to the short circuit protection kicking in and preventing the power supply from starting in order to prevent damage. Which means you still have a short in your board, and you have to get rid of it if you want it to work. Next step should be checking for shorts to ground on all the power rails, identify the shorted tantalum(s) and replace them.

Other components may be shorted too, but it's usually the tantalums in this case.

Reply 2 of 2, by DukkyJr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
TheMobRules wrote on 2022-10-26, 13:38:

By "titanium" I assume you mean tantalum 😛 .

Yer sorry typo, I ment "tantalum" 🤣

Iv removed the PSU from the case for bench testing but just acts the same, so I'll do some power rail checks.

If I can't solve it. I'm guessing there no reason why I can't just mod a ATX to AT? The only issue I can see is if I need a -5 for sound I believe (in a set number of sound cards)