VOGONS

First post, by zconnect

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've got this video card for my 486, but it will not display any colour except red. I've even replaced the VGA port to no effect. Is there any way I can fix this or did I waste a lot of money? Everything online says the only thing that can cause this is a broken VGA port, but that's not the case.

Reply 1 of 14, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can you take a pic of how port and it's surroundings look like ? (both top and bottom side)
Best case is damaged tracers or bad resistors/caps on the way to connector itself.
Worst case : Damaged ET4000 chip or RAMDAC.

157143230295.png

Reply 2 of 14, by zconnect

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
agent_x007 wrote on 2022-11-01, 22:35:

Can you take a pic of how port and it's surroundings look like ? (both top and bottom side)
Best case is damaged tracers or bad resistors/caps on the way to connector itself.
Worst case : Damaged ET4000 chip or RAMDAC.

Here you go. Ignore the messy soldering and flux residue. It may look bad but it's not the problem, I know I did it properly and it happened before I replaced the port too.

Attachments

• proof3.jpg
    Filename
    proof3.jpg
    File size
    434.41 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • proof2.jpg
    Filename
    proof2.jpg
    File size
    1.28 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • proof1.jpg
    Filename
    proof1.jpg
    File size
    402.35 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 4 of 14, by zconnect

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
quicknick wrote on 2022-11-01, 23:57:

L4 and L5 (close to the VGA connector) really seem to be missing 😀

Any idea what that is, and where I can get replacements? Lots of things like that are missing, it just came that way, but I guess these ones aren't supposed to be. Maybe they fell off in shipping?

Reply 5 of 14, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

From junk PCI video card if you have similar SMD inductors even they look different but close in same location near the VGA connector.

L5 and L4 above the video connector are knocked off.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 6 of 14, by zconnect

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote on 2022-11-02, 00:47:

From junk PCI video card if you have similar SMD inductors even they look different but close in same location near the VGA connector.

Cheers,

The PCI cards I have have a bunch of them all over the card looking slightly different. Is there any more reliable way to tell?

Reply 7 of 14, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
zconnect wrote on 2022-11-02, 00:19:
quicknick wrote on 2022-11-01, 23:57:

L4 and L5 (close to the VGA connector) really seem to be missing 😀

Any idea what that is, and where I can get replacements? Lots of things like that are missing, it just came that way, but I guess these ones aren't supposed to be. Maybe they fell off in shipping?

They are choke inductors. You can just jump the pads with solder blobs they aren't really necessary. It's possible someone deliberately configured this card to only display red, or they just fell off or were knocked I guess.

That's 100% the problem, because they are gone G and B are literally not connected to the VGA port

Reply 8 of 14, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
zconnect wrote on 2022-11-02, 00:52:
pentiumspeed wrote on 2022-11-02, 00:47:

Cheers,

The PCI cards I have have a bunch of them all over the card looking slightly different. Is there any more reliable way to tell?

Near the VGA connector, post some photos of your PCI cards is suggested.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 9 of 14, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes you can just jump a wire across them, they help filter some low freq noise but are rarely necessary...
On my Oak 87 based ISA VGA they are just a wire thru a ferrite bead similar to this: https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/150/274300 … 112-1512844.pdf
On many PCI cards they have them for the sync signals but not the R-G-B lines iirc (thinking about my S3 PCI cards)...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 10 of 14, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VGA.png
Filename
VGA.png
File size
214.77 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

^You need to solder two of these, on your ET4000 card.
As others mentioned, you can just connect two pads to check if signal is there at all.

157143230295.png

Reply 11 of 14, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Horun wrote on 2022-11-02, 01:17:

Yes you can just jump a wire across them, they help filter some low freq noise but are rarely necessary...

Not "low frequency noise". They are about removing extremely high frequency noise (significantly above 100MHz). These frequencies are not required at the resolutions those older cards run at. On the other hand, these frequencies can easily be radiated from PCB traces (especially in the monitor) or badly shielded VGA cables. Removing those high frequencies makes it easier to pass electro-magnetic compliance tests.

Reply 12 of 14, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes I mispoke, they are for HF filtering.....most newer VGA cables have them built in on one or both ends....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 13 of 14, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've intentionally removed the LC filters on most of my ISA cards. They are extremely primitive as video LPF go and I've seen increased sharpness in higher resolutions after the mod.

The OP's card already doesn't have the caps populated (C11-13). If it were me, I'd just remove L3 and bridge the pads for all three inductors with solder blobs.