VOGONS

First post, by Darrylo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all

(Mini Intro for my 1st post)
I've been into my retro PC hardware for a while but have only given it some real attention in the last few months. current working systems consist of a socket 370 and a K6-2. There is a small growing number of working and not yest(hopefully) working parts.

I received this motherboard (DTK PRM-0031I) yesterday only and before powering up I checked the jumpers cleaned up the ram contacts and checked for any physical damage.
On power up I got a string of 9 Beeps indicating a CMOS checksum error. Afte removing and all but 2 ram sticks, changing video cards checking the bios chip is seated etc it started to POST.

What I then noticed is it would not store the bios settings as it kept reverting to disabling my ps2 mouse. I did however notice it did keep the time.
I have not done much further diagnostics but want to start with the following:
Find the CMOS chip and see if it has power from the battery.
Figure out what version of AMI flash to use to update the BIOS.

Is there anything else I should check?

Reply 1 of 10, by Darrylo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Update: Traced the power all the way to pin 7 on the PC87306 chip and all looks good.
Then... double checked the cmos and noticed its only the 1 setting that does not stay as set. The PS2 Mouse Support

Suppose I could use a serial mouse, but thats really not ideal.
so is it a bios issue or a PS2 port issue?

Reply 2 of 10, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Silly idea... if you set the date to before y2k, does the ps2 mouse support setting still change ?

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 3 of 10, by Darrylo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
weedeewee wrote on 2022-11-10, 16:18:

Silly idea... if you set the date to before y2k, does the ps2 mouse support setting still change ?

I have rebooted with reset bios in 1995 a few times with no difference.

Reply 4 of 10, by Darrylo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So there is no progress. the next plan is to reflash the BIOS.

I have located 2 ROMS but I have no idea which version of the AMI tool to use?

On a good note, the board was sold with 128mb of ram but after cleaning up and reseating them its a full 200mb.

Reply 5 of 10, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bios chips have limited re-flash ability. Every time you save the bios settings brings the chip closer to failure. Some chips last 10's of 1000's of times. Some are much quicker to give up the ghost.

If it were my board, I would flash a replacement and try that.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 6 of 10, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote on 2022-11-11, 05:54:

Bios chips have limited re-flash ability. Every time you save the bios settings brings the chip closer to failure. Some chips last 10's of 1000's of times. Some are much quicker to give up the ghost.

If it were my board, I would flash a replacement and try that.

The bios settings on old boards were stored in a piece of battery backed ram, not in any eeprom.

that said, even ram can fail.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 8 of 10, by Darrylo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Problem solved.

After managing to trace the Vcc and Data to the controller chip, then checking the header pin layout to the plug....
The pins are non standard!
"standard" This board
1 Data Vcc
2 Blank Blank
3 gnd Gnd
4Vcc Clk
5 Clk Data

Reply 10 of 10, by Darrylo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not sure if I should start a new thread, I'm considering using this for an OS/2 build...

I have only ever once run it for a short while but I think this setup with Pentium Pro 20o, 200 mb ram would make a good workstation.

I'm open to other suggestions on a workstation type setup for this CPU. (maybe as a retro server ?)