VOGONS

First post, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have this QDI PlatiniX 4X Socket 423 motherboard I bought NOS a few years ago. Normally the P4 platform is of no interest to me, but I find the oddness of the short-lived S423 + RDRAM combo quite fascinating. Anyway, this board works just fine with a 1.9GHz Willamette and 512MB of PC800 RDRAM (2 RIMMs + 2 C-RIMM "terminators"), but I noticed that after running for a few hours all the non-Japanese capacitors near the regulators around the memory area had leaked their guts. Since the board is from 2001, it is a potential victim of the capacitor plague, so I did a full recap (even though the larger Rubycon caps all seemed to be OK). I used all quality stuff, mostly Rubycon+Panasonic.

The recap went fine, and the board still works perfectly. However, I noticed that the 4 regulators on the same area where the old caps leaked run extremely hot (red rectangle in the photo), I cannot keep my finger more than a few seconds without burning. Now, these 4 chips are Fairchild 1084MC LDO voltage regulators, so I'm not concerned with those running hot since they can take up to 150C. However, the caps in the surroundings get as hot as the regulators, which may explain why the original ones leaked after such a short period.

So, aside from the terrible design by QDI, I'm looking for suggestions on how to handle this, as I don't want the new caps to be cooked. The area is difficult to reach with active cooling, even though I have good airflow in the case, and I don't think a passive heatsink on the regulators would be of much help. I was considering replacing the regulators with more modern equivalents that run cooler, does anyone know what replacement parts I could use here?

Toasty caps.jpg
Filename
Toasty caps.jpg
File size
604.64 KiB
Views
File comment
QDI PlatiniX 4X
File license
Public domain

Reply 1 of 3, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can just add copper heatsinks on them.

I cannot keep my finger more than a few seconds without burning.

"More than a few seconds" is a very low temperature for voltage regulator. Around 60-70C, depending on your skin thickness.

Last edited by The Serpent Rider on 2022-11-13, 11:21. Edited 2 times in total.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 3, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@TheMobRules: Interesting, don't the diodes on the board indicate big currents? I haven't seen them on mainboards many times, in that number. Do you have all the PSU connectors plugged in (ATX+ATX12V+P4)?
And as SerpentRider writes, the temperature above 60°C is already uncomfortable to the touch, so if you hold your finger for a matter of seconds, no more than 80°C will be there.

Reply 3 of 3, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, as I said the regulators themselves are not a concern because I know they can easily handle those temps, the issue I have is that the caps around them feel just as hot to the touch. That's why I was considering the possibility of using more modern alternatives that don't heat up as much. RDRAM is known to run hot, and the modules do indeed get quite warm, but I didn't know the circuitry around it also suffered from it... It would be interesting to see if this design with LDOs is common among RDRAM boards or if it's just a QDI thing.

I am using all 3 connectors from the PSU, yes.