VOGONS

Asus CPU Card (Slocket) Differences

Topic actions

First post, by _tk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

From what I can tell, Asus made at least three different slockets for socket 370 processors to slot 1 motherboards.

S370-L
S370-DL
S370-133

Does anyone know the specific differences between them? I couldn't find anything definitive online and I certainly don't remember the differences from when I bought them 20+ years ago.

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 29, by smtkr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There's a thread on Vogons with a pdf that includes photos of about 50-60 different slotkets from various manufacturers with some notes about compatibility with coppermine and tualatin CPUs. I don't want to dig it up right now, but here are what I remember of those

1. Not sure about the S370-L. I have the plain vanilla S370 rev 1.01. It's just a celeron card with no voltage clamp
2. and 3. (S370-DL and S370-133) both support coppermines with the same voltage range and have voltage clamp

Edit: Also, those things go fast on eBay. There was a DL on ebay last month. I went to put in an offer on it and someone bought it now while I was typing in my offer 😁

Reply 2 of 29, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

all 3 models have the same cpus support, voltages, multipliers.

133 is considered high-profile because of the additional bracket.
L stands for low profile. identical to 133 otherwise.
D in the DL model stands for dual processors support.

DL is supposed to be the latest variant, but i cannot confirm or disprove if 133 really is a single processor only adapter.
Even if it is, a minor mod will probably be enough to dual-enable it.

retro bits and bytes

Reply 3 of 29, by _tk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I own a NOS s370-L and a s370-133. Unfortunately, no paperwork with them...only the boxes (maybe they never came with paperwork?).

Anyhow, the only differences that I can see is that the 133 has an extra a jumper for "cu-mine" or "celeron" and has the additional plastic surround on it. It also lists on the pcb a much greater range of voltage adjustments (although both have the same amount of voltage jumpers, 5).

Unfortunately, no DL to compare them with.

Both of the boxes are identical, besides a sticker of what's inside them. What confuses me is that the 133 says it supports 133fsb...but that's already stated in the fourth bullet point on the box (pic attached).

Physically, the 133 has three capacitors on that the L does not.

Attachments

Reply 5 of 29, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Naming wise it would make sense that the 133 is the only one officially supporting 133 MHz FSB.

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 6 of 29, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a paper manual that covers the 3 adapter models.

Visual reference for DL:
cpu_p3_1400_512_133.jpg

I added the fat brackets. Originally the adapters came with small brackets like the L version above.
4 locations for capacitors, unpopulated.
8 jumpers.

According to manual the order of the models is like this: 133, L, DL.
All of them support coppermine and 133mhz fsb officially. In fact the ones here handle 150mhz just fine.
Same 1.5-2.6 voltage settings for all of them.
133 does not have auto detection for coppermine. Requires jumper to be configured manually.
L has auto detection.
DL has auto detection and dual cpu support.

retro bits and bytes

Reply 7 of 29, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As far as I understand there were two 'generations'.
The S370, S370L and the S370D represent the oldest and were meant for Mendocino Celeron - their voltage jumpers adressed the 1.8v to 3.5v range.

Filename
s370.pdf
File size
86.7 KiB
Downloads
48 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 9 of 29, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Look at the photo of the two slotkets above your post. The bottom one has only 5 voltage jumpers and is imo from the first (Mendocino) generation. It is not that straightforward to identify between the two geneations. Here another example of an early version: green pcb with desoldered jumpers - probably issued somewhere first half of 1999.

S370L22.JPG
Filename
S370L22.JPG
File size
65.45 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 10 of 29, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To clarify again:
We are discussing here only the latest generation of the adapters. The ones with voltage clamp (that chip on the left side).
According to the manual - the 133 model does not have auto-detection for Coppermine. That must to be configured with jumpers instead. That's why there are more jumpers on the 133 model than the L one.

retro bits and bytes

Reply 11 of 29, by _tk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pshipkov wrote on 2022-11-17, 16:16:

To clarify again:
We are discussing here only the latest generation of the adapters. The ones with voltage clamp (that chip on the left side).
According to the manual - the 133 model does not have auto-detection for Coppermine. That must to be configured with jumpers instead. That's why there are more jumpers on the 133 model than the L one.

This is correct. The 133 has a coppermine/celeron jumper, giving it six. The 133 also lists far more voltage ranges than the L does (even though both have the same number of voltage jumpers).

It seems odd that Asus would make basically redundant slockets so something must be different (functionality/compatibility) between them. Why specify that the 133 does 133FSB when it literally says a few lines above that the L runs 100/133 FSB as well? Clearly the 133 does both FSB frequencies as well.

Reply 12 of 29, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
_tk wrote on 2022-11-17, 19:06:
pshipkov wrote on 2022-11-17, 16:16:

To clarify again:

This is correct. The 133 has a coppermine/celeron jumper, giving it six. The 133 also lists far more voltage ranges than the L does (even though both have the same number of voltage jumpers).

It seems odd that Asus would make basically redundant slockets so something must be different (functionality/compatibility) between them. Why specify that the 133 does 133FSB when it literally says a few lines above that the L runs 100/133 FSB as well? Clearly the 133 does both FSB frequencies as well.

These are the latest (?) docs I have for my Asus Slot 1 adapters

Filename
Asus S370 Series v1.1.pdf
File size
141.14 KiB
Downloads
45 downloads
File license
Filename
Asus S370-DL.pdf
File size
143.03 KiB
Downloads
42 downloads
File license
Filename
Asus S370-DL Addendum.pdf
File size
22.15 KiB
Downloads
46 downloads
File license

Reply 14 of 29, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The answer to your question according to Douglas Adams is 42.
Not sure what is not clear here. : )

Joking aside.
Here is a scenario that sounds plausible to me:
The first model (S370-133) of the second generation adapters has bigger bracket and capacitors.
Later on it was determined that capacitors can be removed (or worked around with different electrical schema), the big bracket can be replaced with small one under the low-profile formula. That is the L variant. I suspect that at least to a point this was based on cost optimization factors.

retro bits and bytes

Reply 15 of 29, by a_h_adl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As a person who owns more than 10 slockets I must say the extra height and bracket of the S370-133 makes it way easier to remove as the others can be very difficult to remove from the slot sometimes.

S370-133 works flawlessly with my pin modified Tualatin 1400-S or with my Lin-Lin adapter and normal Tualatin 1400-S on over 15 different 440BX boards. The default auto CPU voltage setting works well in every occasions. That makes it my favourite slocket even on top of my MSI MS-6905 Ver 2.3 as it is easier to install/remove.

Reply 19 of 29, by a_h_adl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just purchased an ASUS P2B-D and can test dual S370-133's on it once it arrives in the next few weeks. I don't have the plan to mod the P2B-D to accept 133FSB for now but I can test it with 1400MHz 100FSB Tualatin Celerons.