VOGONS

First post, by dreamscape86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey all

I've got a Geforce FX 5600 ultra and it appears to have fan control but its mostly constantly maxed out even at 31c or 53c (while gaming) it some times but only at complete idle and left for a few minutes slows down but otherwise it's like a hoover!

The fan is clean and the card is overall very clean so it's not dust or anything i don't think. It's really, really annoying. Is there anyway to set fan speed manually in the drivers (currently using 45.23) or any other software for Windows 98.

Thanks

Shuttle XPC | Pentium 4 2.8Ghz | 512MB DDR 400Mhz | Nvidia Geforce FX 5600 Ultra | 32GB Sandisk Extreme Pro CF Card | Silverstone FX350-G 350W 80 Plus Gold PSU | Windows 98 SE

Reply 1 of 3, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Normally I'd recommend to get something like a Zalman VF700, but in your case, assuming it'll stay in the XPC there is no room for it. I don't know if there is a single slot cooler with a large fan that fits your card.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 3 of 3, by dreamscape86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Never thought about Riva Tuner that's a good call... I will try it.

How much better is a 5600 Ultra over a normal 5600? As i have both and both are 128mb variants and would expect the 5600 is quieter.

Failing that i may have to use a FX 5500 which is passive cooled but that starts to negate the whole purpose of building this rig which was to out perform my previous machine with a GF FX 5200 by a considerable amount.

I bought a Noctua fan for the CPU thinking it was that which was being loud but nope it's the GPU I had no idea they were so loud on the Ultra variant. I could always use the spare fan header and ghetto rig a quiet fan to it but i don't really want to mess with what is a pretty rare and cool GPU.

Shuttle XPC | Pentium 4 2.8Ghz | 512MB DDR 400Mhz | Nvidia Geforce FX 5600 Ultra | 32GB Sandisk Extreme Pro CF Card | Silverstone FX350-G 350W 80 Plus Gold PSU | Windows 98 SE