VOGONS

First post, by Tyrant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Today I went to boot my Windows 98se machine and I got an error saying "invalid VxD dynamic link call to device number 3, service B." It advised to run the Windows Setup program to correct the problem and after rebooting a few times to try to get the program running it showed a new error saying "invalid system disk. Replace and strike key when ready." After I pressed any key a few times it launched into safe mode and then I restarted it normal mode and it's ok now.

Are these symptoms of a dying hard drive? These hard drives came with the computer when WIndows 95 came out so I'm actually impressed they still work at all. If I buy a new hard drive (assuming they still make them for motherboards this old) can I transfer all my data to it without needing to reinstall everything? I have a very stable build which I want to preserve if I can.

Reply 2 of 3, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

computer is broken 😜
It means it needs diagnosing. Multimeter and measuring voltages from psu, reseating all the components, removing all the components other than ram cpu graphic card, that sort of stuff

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 3 of 3, by Tyrant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2022-11-22, 06:23:

computer is broken 😜
It means it needs diagnosing. Multimeter and measuring voltages from psu, reseating all the components, removing all the components other than ram cpu graphic card, that sort of stuff

I just came back here to delete the thread because I found one of the RAM sticks was loose, god I feel stupid now 🤣