VOGONS

First post, by hculpan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I acquired an IBM PC 350 about two months ago, and I've been gradually upgrading the system. When I got it, it didn't have a hard drive, so I put in an SSD using a sata-to-ide converter. Since then, I've wanted to run multiple operatig systems, so I decided to use a cf-to-ide converter. No problems, I got an 8gb CF, installed it as my boot device, and BIOS sees it just fine. I installed Win98 and everything works just fine; it boots and runs perfectly.

So I then swapped out to another CF card to install DOS (yes, I know, DOS will only see 2 gb of the 8 gb CF, but that's fine). The CF card is the exact same model as the one that works for Win98. But when I format it with the system, it won't boot. It just sits there with a blinking cursor, no "Starting MS-DOS..." message or anything. I tried installing Win98's version of DOS on it and that doesn't boot either. I have now tried two other models of CF cards, and these haven't worked either. I've even replaced the CF-to-ide converter with two others and the behavior is very consistent; the original Win98 CF boots just fine, no others do.

Looking at the BIOS, it appears correct every time. It is limited to 8gb drives, but I'm only using 8gb or smaller CF cards.

Honestly, I'm out of ideas, so if anyone has any thoughts or insights, I would be very appreciative.

Reply 1 of 2, by Martin85

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

May it be, because DOS sees it as a 2GB HDD, while BIOS is looking for a 8GB? I think you should set it manually in bios as a 2GB drive. Or am I wrong? Feel free to correct me.
It happened to me once on a 386, where there is no autodetect function in bios and I had to manually set the value of Cyl, Heads, Sectors. I set it up wrong, for example instead of 127MB, I had 129MB in bios, and it wouldn't go over post. Once i matched the values to the ones the drive was formatted in DOS, no problem...

Reply 2 of 2, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You'll want to try replacing the MBR on the card, "FDISK /MBR" is one way to get this done.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜