VOGONS

First post, by middle_pickup

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to install windows 98 on a new hard drive in my Dell XPS T500. The machine previously had windows 98 installed to its one hard drive, which was connected to the ultra 66's primary IDE channel. I swapped the hard drive for a new one, and have tried to boot the OEM windows 98 installer from the floppy drive. The floppy boots fine, and prompts you to start the CD installer. Then the CD drive takes off only to inform you that no hard drive is connected or your hard drive requires special drivers, and to contact your manufacturer.

I saw Phil's video on the ultra 66. He installed the bios to the promise card. Do you have to do that? I tested the old hard drives install of windows 98 just the other day, and it booted fine. Not sure what's wrong.

Amateur computer nerd. Please send help.

Reply 1 of 3, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Your Ultra 66 does not have the BIOS chip ? What size is the old hard drive ? What size is the new hard drive ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 3, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When the computer is booting up, do you see a screen for the Promise card? It should look very similar to this:

Attachments

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 3 of 3, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To elaborate, if you don't see that screen right after the POST screen, the most likely explanation is that the Promise card doesn't have enough free resources (IRQ and/or DMA) to work. You can try disabling any ports you aren't using and whichever of the two IDE ports is being substituted with the Promise card. You can also try moving it to a different PCI slot.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey