VOGONS

First post, by Aui

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is an extension of a previous post (Cosmetic repair and restoration resources / experience?), and I would like to spark a more general discussion about the LPX formfactor (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LPX_%28form_factor%29).

My woes and issue and my most serious problems are broken cases, broken front panels and degrading plastics, but other problems also exist (missing raiser cards, strangely formed power supplies and limited upgrade options etc). How to preserve these machines? Below are images that may serve as an example for a large number of other similar machines which have broken or lost cases. They key issue is of course the complete lack of compatibility. For example the Compaq machine has expansion slots only towards on side. The Toshiba machine has expansion slots in two directions. Sizes and dimensions vary widely.

2.jpg
Filename
2.jpg
File size
329.12 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
02.jpg
Filename
02.jpg
File size
111.44 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
1.jpg
Filename
1.jpg
File size
301.86 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
01.jpg
Filename
01.jpg
File size
131.77 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

The reason why I think this is a rather common problem is the high number of isolated LPX boards for sale (various places online). Usually, they are not only missing the case but also the respective raiser card which renders them almost useless.
Also worth noting is that I think many of these machines are really beautiful! I very much like the slim, often passively cooled, minimalistic design of these computers.

So the first aim is always to try to fix (or replace) the case. Now I know there are some people who claim that nothing is not fixable, but I am not so sure. The key problem is the degrading plastic. I have fixed a number of cases and I don’t mind the time and effort and I also don’t mind more elaborate methods, like remodeling certain parts. However, as someone earlier – very appropriately – mentioned, some of the plastics assume the consistency of “old chocolate” You may be able to fix the case on one corner but just taking the lid of the machine the next time always bears the risk braking it again. Anyone tried to build replacement front bezels? Or, if there is no hope to repair the case, any ideas to get the machine to a new housing, perhaps some generic cases or DIY solutions?
I am hoping that one day, someone skilled in 3D printing, with a taste for cool industrial design will develop a universal case for old LPX boards. A sanctuary for the lonely LPX boards of Compaq, HP, Olivetti, IBM and Toshiba machines.

So here is my question
How do you rescue (or save) your old LPX machines from the dump?
Or - if you are simply enjoying your LPX system - why not share some pictures - to raise awareness of the many cool designs and true DESKTOP computers.