VOGONS

First post, by retrofan01

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just bought a refurbished Dell Dimension XPS M233S from 1997 from an eBay seller who also introduced me to this forum. It's very similar to the first Windows PC I owned back then but it's the first time I've done anything with vintage PC stuff in over 20 years so I'm pretty rusty and have a couple of questions!

1. The PC is going to share a desk with my wife's work laptop and docking station (yes she's very tolerant). Does anyone know of a KV switch that will enable a Cooler Master MK750 keyboard and Corsair M65 mouse (both USB) to be used with both the docking station and Dell M233S? Would Windows 98 even recognise such a switch? I tried plugging the Cooler Master keyboard into one of the USB ports on the Dell and it didn't pick it up although I don't know whether that's because it requires drivers to be installed first.

I don't really want to have separate keyboards and mouses for the two machines if possible and I understand that the passive USB-PS/2 adaptors that are available only really work with older input devices.

2. I have a list of about 25 games of that era (mid-to-late 90s) which I'd like installed on Windows 98 plus a few other things like Office '97. Would an 8GB CF card be sufficient or would I require a bigger one?

3. In order to update to a bigger CF card, would a file copy be sufficient or would a sector copy be required?

Reply 1 of 3, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

CF cards are better suited to DOS. Perhaps better to get a cheap SSD and IDE-SATA adapter.
Yes windows 98 does not look after SSDs properly but if its just got some retro gaming and tinkering this isnt really a problem.

My retro pc youtube channel
Twitter

Reply 2 of 3, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1. Not a KVM expert but you might need one that has active USB to PS2 conversion and use the PS2 ports on the Dell XPS (some old boards with USB do not support keyboards proper, like to get into the BIOS)
2. Win98 can take about 1gb after all drivers (not games) installed. Better to use a bigger CF and partition it, one for OS and one for games.
3. You need a proper HD imaging tool to "mirror" the smaller CF to a bigger one. you cannot just copy the files....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun