VOGONS

First post, by MrSteelrose

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Specs:
Pentium III 933Mhz Coppermine (can be set to 466mhz with the clock speed multiplier if needed)
Geforce 2 GTS 64 MB AGP + voodoo 2 12 MB in SLI
AWE 64 value ISA
Windows 98SE
384MB RAM

i did some tests in dos mode (DOS 7.1) im using phils memory manager boot utility and the shortcut he made to boot properly into DOS

Might and magic III: goes super slow, one fram each 10th second or something and no sound
Wolfenstein 3d: all is working well with sound
Doom: everything is working good, i wish i could use the awe synth but im stuck with FM it sounds ok though
Lemmings1: all is well
might and magic 1: refuses to install says something about not enough memory or something
Tyrian2000: excellent with AWE synth music.

What should i do from here? how limited am i with this setup? any pointers on what to do to get the most out of this computer? in regards to DOS compatibility, windows gaming is all good.

Pentium MMX 200mhz. s3 virge vx + voodoo 1 64 MB SDRAM
Pentium 2 300mhz geforce 2 gts + voodoo2 SLI 256 MB SDRAM
pentium 3 933 mhz voodoo3 3ooo AGP. 512 MB SDRAM
Pentium 4 2.8ghz geforce 4TI 4200
Intel 3770 geforce 780
Intel 10700k Geforce RTX 3080

Reply 1 of 8, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Why aren't you using the AWE synth in Doom? It should natively support AWE...

Might&Magic III is a known speed-sensitive game, and an old one from 1991 at that. Try pulling out all the stops to slow down your system. You say you can slow it down to 466MHz with multiplier. I strongly doubt that, P3 CPUs have locked multiplier. 466MHz sounds like you're lowering FSB from 133MHz to 66MHz. What you can also do is disable all cache. Disabling L1 cache will seriously impact performance. Maybe enough to even run the game adequately...

Might&Magic 1: look for a DOS memory limiting tool. You have so much RAM it can't correctly measure it so incorrectly concludes you have too much. Limit RAM to 4MB or so and it should work, assuming it's not much too fast.

Apart from that, which limitations you will hit depend on what you want to play. I use two systems for DOS games, a P3-500 with AWE64 Gold (and GUS and an Aztech 2320 card as well) for late DOS, which runs 99% of what I actually like to play (Colonization and OMF2097 mainly), and for picky old stuff a 486SX-33 with SB1.0 replica and MusicQuest MIDI adapter. I might even have to lower FSB on that one for M&M3...

Reply 2 of 8, by MrSteelrose

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

sorry i meant that i change FSB with an onboard switch between 66-133mhz. the clock multiplier is stuck at 7

Intel 3770 geforce 780

Reply 3 of 8, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd say its a solid setup as is.
Main issue I had on a similar spec PC was Pascal 200 error, which is easily fixed
Fix "Error 200" (Divide by zero) - by Snover and Stiletto (updated!)

Your always going to get that 1 game that doesn't want to work, Even back in the mid 90's my DX2/66 ran into compatibility issues. For those games you can build another PC built specifically around that games requirements or just use dosbox for that single game happy in the knowledge rest of your games run perfect on your retro PC .

Reply 4 of 8, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You have a pretty good setup, and later DOS games will run well on it. Some of the earlier ones are speed sensitive though. See this list for more details: https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/List_of_ … sensitive_games

You might be able to get around some of those speed issues by disabling L1 cache via SetMul and such.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 5 of 8, by gaffa2002

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Because of the ISA soundcard, your system is quite capable for DOS if you are somehow able to slow the CPU down.

You may want to consider a program called THROTTLE, it allows you to slow down your CPU using the chipset's ACPI energy saving features and disabling cache. Note that your motherboard needs to have a supported chipset.
Personally, I use throttle with the parameter for not disabling caches and use SETMUL for doing that instead. That way I can set 32 different speed settings: 16 provided by throttle, times two (with and without L1 cache).

Here is the link...
http://www.oldskool.org/pc/throttle/DOS/

You will also need some RAM disk utility for games that have trouble with too much RAM. With it you can create a ram disk which will use the upper portion of your memory. The larger the ram disk size, less memory will be available for programs.
From the top of my mind, Alien Breed gets stuck on the copy protection screen if your system has more than 16 megs of RAM. So for instance in my system with 256mb, I create a 240mb ram disk so only 16mb are available and problem solved.

LO-RES, HI-FUN

My DOS/ Win98 PC specs

EP-7KXA Motherboard
Athlon Thunderbird 750mhz
256Mb PC100 RAM
Geforce 4 MX440 64MB AGP (128 bit)
Sound Blaster AWE 64 CT4500 (ISA)
32GB HDD

Reply 6 of 8, by MrSteelrose

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thanks for all the help guys, this is my MOBO: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-6BX7-rev-24#ov

i can only adjust the speed by two mini switches on the board, one for clock (which does nothing for me since its locked and the other one changes FSB 66-133mhz. i guess i will run at 466 mhz with a 66mhz bus when i play older game and disable cache in bios,

Intel 3770 geforce 780

Reply 7 of 8, by MrSteelrose

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

that throttle program works well thanks, but it doesn't seem to change my cache but i can disable it in bios anyway, but i tried both the throttle program and disabling cache in bios after some experimenting i noticed they both affects speed and affect each each other, i can also change system speed which means i have three means of changing speed, all affecting each other so i got quite many speed settings in total to choose from.

Might and magic 3 works, and i tried a game called tank wars which was the perfect benchmark since its a speed sensitive game.

Intel 3770 geforce 780

Reply 8 of 8, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MrSteelrose wrote on 2022-12-08, 00:05:

that throttle program works well thanks, but it doesn't seem to change my cache but i can disable it in bios anyway, but i tried both the throttle program and disabling cache in bios after some experimenting i noticed they both affects speed and affect each each other, i can also change system speed which means i have three means of changing speed, all affecting each other so i got quite many speed settings in total to choose from.

Might and magic 3 works, and i tried a game called tank wars which was the perfect benchmark since its a speed sensitive game.

http://bretjohnson.us/source/source.htm

beside throttle, CPUCACHE and SLOWINT1 will do magic. I can transform a Pentium 3 1ghz in a XT with this