VOGONS

First post, by AvocadoLongfall

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was curious if it would be viable to swap out my all isa riser board on a Zenith Data systems Z Select 100XE with another riser board that can go in that has also some pci slots?

I was thinking in theory that my i486 computer may apprewr to have pci slots on the motherboard that the riser card utilizes, I may technically be able to use another riser card with isa and pci or vlb and swap out the all isa card out should I want to make it so.

Attachments

• 8BCCACA0-8F78-49D3-842E-C08BD28C22A4.jpeg
    Filename
    8BCCACA0-8F78-49D3-842E-C08BD28C22A4.jpeg
    File size
    197.98 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    These slots on my i486 appear to have pci slots so I suppose technically I could install a new riser card and install a video card such as an s3verge
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0

Reply 1 of 6, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You would need a compatible slot riser, many of the slot risers that have PCI go into a ISA/EISA looking slot that the ISA part is also routed too.
I do not think your board could even use a generic ISA type riser as it appears very proprietary with the ISA part not looking like an ISA slot, and with ISA and PCI separated....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 6, by Windows9566

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

that board looks exactly like the Packard Bell PB450

R5 5600X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3060 TI, Win11
P3 600, 256 MB RAM, nVidia Riva TNT2 M64, SB Vibra 16S, Win98
PMMX 200, 128 MB RAM, S3 Virge DX, Yamaha YMF719, Win95
486DX2 66, 32 MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440, ESS ES688F, DOS

Reply 4 of 6, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Might be, zenith and PB had a fling in the 90s.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 5 of 6, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I explored the world of swap riserboard but in IBM models. From what I know (but I could be wrong) only IBMs have this system and it's called "Selectabus". In the 486s that support it (like my PC 330DX4) I can install two types of spares the first is ISA+VLB and the second is ISA+PCI. But while ISA+VLB seems to be passive (i.e. brings contacts from the mainboard back to the slots) ISA+PCI has a chip on the riserboard which I guess is a bridge chip between VLB and PCI because I think the chipset on the MB doesn't natively support PCI . unfortunately they are super rare and I have never been able to find one and the documentation is not easily found either.