VOGONS

First post, by andy120

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I acquired a box of 40 unused 1.44m floppies. only 2 readily format. most say media error/track 0 bad. Is there a way to force format? i have nformat and fdformat, neither work.

Powered by one Harris 286-12

Reply 2 of 11, by wbahnassi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Careful if the disks are moldy they will ruin your drive's heads. Symptoms include smell of humidity on the disk media, failing to format due to track 0, and hearing stronger hissing sounds from the drive, and ultimately the screech noise.. at which point the disk is destroyed and probably the drive head is about to follow.

That being said, I usually use IMGDisk to do a full disk Erase then followed by DOS Format. Goes fine to save track 0 unless the disk is really messed up.

Reply 3 of 11, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Super low-level Format for floppy

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 5 of 11, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
andy120 wrote on 2022-12-09, 20:33:

How does imgdisk do that? fformat, vgacopy, format /u all fail, mostly 0 track bad. fdformat says a: isn't a suitable drive, okkkk. will chuck out the 38.

Does your drive otherwise work properly ? It could be the disks, or your drive might need servicing/cleaning/adjustment.

Reply 6 of 11, by wbahnassi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

How does imgdisk do that? fformat, vgacopy, format /u all fail, mostly 0 track bad. fdformat says a: isn't a suitable drive, okkkk. will chuck out the 38.

IMGDisk's Erase functionality is writing 1 sector per track. This overwrites all typical 15 sector header info. IIRC that's how the Help section in the program explained it. One other thing to check: ensure the BIOS has the right drive type. Specifying 360K for a 1.2MB drive can lead to Track 0 format errors, and also it confuses Format.com's disk capacity detection, though I just like explicitly specifying the disk format (/F:1.2 or /F:360).

Reply 7 of 11, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Writing back a floppy image via WinImage sometimes helped making a floppy usable again (track 0 error).

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 8 of 11, by flynth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There is a video on YouTube showing "fixing" floppies with track 0 error with an AC powered magnetic media eraser. I haven't tried it because I don't have one of those erasers.

I believe those things are essentially a large electromagnet that works like degaussing coils on crt monitors(but are much more powerfull). I forgot exactly how this was done, but I seem to remember an element that increased its resistance rapidly as it was heated up by a passing current was in line with the electromagnet. This way there was a large alternating magnetic field that quickly dropped to zero sort of de-magnetising the media. Then it should be possible to format it.

Reply 10 of 11, by andy120

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2022-12-09, 21:02:

Does your drive otherwise work properly ? It could be the disks, or your drive might need servicing/cleaning/adjustment.

Presume so, all 3 read and format the same 2 discs.