VOGONS

First post, by KuroHouou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I have been reading through years of posts here and other places trying to come to conclusion on what exactly is the best way to max out my Asus P3B-F motherboard (That I want to keep the ISA slots for). I have read that people are getting the Tualatin P3-S 1.4Ghz chips to work with Slotket's through multiple means. Was hoping anyone here with the setup or who knows can help confirm what I am thinking.

As an fyi, I have a P3B-F 1.04 just a fyi with some good but not amazing 133mhz ram (based on the data I found here on Vogons). Multiple video cards ranging from a Voodoo 3 3000 AGP to a Geforce4 ti500.

Here is what I am trying to confirm...

1. Get a normal Slotket from a reputable brand like the Asus or MSI ones but you have to use a modified CPU from the Korean Seller on Ebay (He has a 1.26Ghz up now for the P3-s or a 1.4Ghz for Celeron). Is this all that's need for this setup, a good stock Slotket and a modified CPU? One other question I have here is handling the voltage, how exactly would that be controlled or managed? If the P3-S needs 1.45-1.5 but the mobo only goes to 2, is this what the modified bios is for?

OR....

2. Get a Powerleap PL-IP3 and I can use a stock un-modified CPU, aka the P3-S 1.4Ghz.

My other question is how does the MB support this when it doesn't support natively 133fsb? I saw there is a modified bios, is this what would enable the Tualatin CPU's and that's really the last piece to the puzzle?

Just wondering if I am missing anything else?

Thank You!!!!

Reply 2 of 11, by KuroHouou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2022-12-11, 17:34:

how does the MB support this

Overclocking is a thing, duh.

Well I get OCing. But is the multiplier locked on these? How does the 1.4ghz run at that and 133fsb? Is that what the custom bios solves for?

Reply 3 of 11, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Considering the questions, maybe it is better to start with reading this first:
The ultimate processor upgrade guide for all Asus P2B and P3B boards (Archived)

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 6 of 11, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Tualatin will work with original last BIOS too, no problem.

Many 3Dfx and Pentium III-S stuff.
My amibay FS thread: www.amibay.com/showthread.php?88030-Man ... -370-dual)

Reply 7 of 11, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a P2B-F Rev 1.00 with the configuration 1 option you proposed. No custom BIOS or extraneous fiddling. It is running with the Korean seller's 1.26GHz Pentium III-S and MSI Master MS-6905 slotket. Memory is 2x128MB Micron 133MHz CL2 SDRAM. However, this same setup did not work in an AOpen AX6BC (w/soft menu). The 440BX chipset is overclocked to 133MHz with jumpers on the P2B-F and the PCI divider maintains spec @33Mhz, but AGP will be out of spec @88MHz. You'll need to make sure the AGP card you choose will be fine running at 88MHz. Disabling AGP sideband address can often get the card going if you have issues. I use an overclocked Geforce3 Ti200 [224MHz/252MHz (504 effective)], which has AGP sideband addressing disabled by default.

Reply 10 of 11, by KuroHouou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just realized I never followed up here, I ended up going for the Powerleap option with a stock 1.4Ghz P III-S Tualatin. It's been running great with my P3B-F for the most part. The only issue I have seen is with some DOS based games where I want to utilize the MPU401 to send midi to my external synths. The only games I have seen this happen to are LucasArts games like Dark Forces and XWing or Tie Fighter. When the P3B-F is running in overclocked mode to run at 1.4Ghz and 133 fsb, the system will freeze as soon as you try to launch or play any midi. It happens both in pure DOS and Windows98 Dos windows, although when running in Windows 98 you can just close the DOS window and the whole system doesn't lock up which is interesting. If I don't overclock the CPU and run at a declocked 1Ghz but 100fsb everything works perfectly fine. I thought the ISA bus speed was seperate from the FSB clocks so not quite sure why this would happen, let alone only in LucasArts games, games like Doom or Duke Nukem are fine.

Anyways, small problem, thats solvable by not overclocking the CPU to hit its normal 1.4Ghz 133 fsb operating speeds but a little annoying at the same time...

Other then that though I have not had any other issues and am very happy with this setup!

Reply 11 of 11, by dj_pirtu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have Tualatin P3-S 1,4GHz running on Asus P3B-F, took out few pins and shorted two pins. Then just ordinary coppermine-slotket and works. Motherboard goes up to 150MHz FSB but only with two 256MB sticks of ram. 140MHz FSB works with three sticks.

Don't remember having any problems with sound cards... It has GUS on ISA slot and then ESS SOLO-1 and Audigy2 on PCI slots.